Mash tun without submerged element?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your mash tun insulated? If so you shouldn't really need any heating to maintain temps. The usual method to maintain temps or perform steps, if it is required at all, would be recirculating the wort from the mash tun through a HERMS coil in your HLT. What 'reasons' do you not want an AIO? They are the easiest way to have more control of your mash temps on the home-brew scale. I've not had an issue with my G40 performing step mashes.

HERMS or RIMS. Benefit of HERMS is the wort doesn't come into contact with the element. disadvantage is you need alot larger vessel if you sparge as you need to have sufficient volume for your HERMS coil plus to heat your sparge water, unless you heat your sparge water in a separate vessel.

RIMS, though the element does come into contact with the wort, never sees stagnating wort across the element so you don't get scorching. I have RIMS and the only time I got scorching was when I stopped the recirculation and forgot to tuen off the element. If your electrical skills are good and you're less lazy than me it would be very easy to install measures to prevent this.

My experience of both AIO and 3-vessel is 3-vessel is better in all regards (for me at least) except space...it does take up alot of space and does require some level of faff during the mash as you have to reconfigure the hoses and attachments as you go from mash to sparge to boil...but its not as if you don't have plenty of spare/dead time during a brew so easy to keep on top of it and plan ahead. Brewdays are, basically, identical in terms of time for each system...I would disagree with the view that AIO systems give you more temp control..that is one of the reasons I moved to 3-vessel.

Another thing to remember if you are doing batches much more than 25l is that the weights involved when you lift out the grain.
Nobody wants to do their back in & you,'ll find the bigger volume brewers using a winch to lift grain bags out of 50l biab setups.

It doesn't help when you're a short **** either, trying to lift 15kg of hot wet grain out at shoulder height isn't fun.

Latest posts

Back