Mash Tun

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all been a while since I asked a question but hope someone can help.

I'm into my 3rd year of AG brewing using the bog standard home made mashing tun.

However I would like to move up a gear and make a mash tun that will keep the mash at correct temp. and to try overnight mashing.

Although I have an enginering background I am completly usless with electrics so it would have to be something easy to make, or bought complete ( the electric parts).

Failing that what would be the best cool box to replace my cheapie Asda one? Seen a couple on Amazon I think it was the Extreme range?

Any advice or point me in the right direction :thumb:

Regards Richard G :drink:

Do a search on HERMS. A few forum members have their own setups and should chime in shortly. I don't have one so my part of the discussion ends here! ;-)

As ever you get what you pay for. I looked at some cheap picnic boxes mentioned on the forum recently and thought :hmm: not for me. ;)
I good quality box with a bit of extra foam in the lid, will hold its temerature very well for a normal mash time. I think they are really aimed at keeping things cool with cold air staying low, for our use heat rising, its worth the mod. ;) You don't have to go complicated to make good beer. ;)
S

if you going to make one ya self out of a cool box get your self to tesco 28 ltr 8 squid :thumb:

richardagutteridge said:
:cheers: Think I will have to make a new mash tun, from a better cool box found nothing on t net.

Thanks for the replies :drink:

Springer said:
I think they are really aimed at keeping things cool with cold air staying low, for our use heat rising, its worth the mod.

My cool box is a good make (Igloo), albeit a few years old, but even they skimp on foam in the lid probably for the reason you suggest Springer. I think a can of expanding foam should sort that problem though.

bobsbeer said:
My cool box is a good make (Igloo),
Thats the sort of talk Bob, as I said you get what you pay for, roughly, in most wise purchases. If you want a quick hit, then go cheap. :)
S

Herms is good for keeping your mash at a constant temp however you need a pump and a pid and probe which can add to the cost the SS thermopots are well worh their money as they will hold a constant temp for many hours

wot one of these mine :thumb:

igloomashtun.jpg

and this wot it look like when i done with its jacket on lol verry cosy now lol

mashtun-5.jpg

Latest posts

Back