Max boil volume

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigLebowski

Reaction score
I've confused myself massively with boil volumes, between US quarts, US Gallons and litres when trying to work out the boil volume I can go to.

Basically I have a 28.5lt pot (to the absolute rim), which is 30 US Qt or 6.2 US Gallons/7.5 Imperial Gallons. If I were to do a normal 3 Vessel Boil, what would be approx the safest boil volume I could do? The pot has a 32cm diameter, which would leave it approx 35cm tall

TheBigLebowski said:
I've confused myself massively with boil volumes, between US quarts, US Gallons and litres when trying to work out the boil volume I can go to.

Basically I have a 28.5lt pot (to the absolute rim), which is 30 US Qt or 6.2 US Gallons/7.5 Imperial Gallons. If I were to do a normal 3 Vessel Boil, what would be approx the safest boil volume I could do? The pot has a 32cm diameter, which would leave it approx 35cm tall
I used to use a 32L Baby Burco for my boils and would only fill it to 27L max. At the same time, I would stand by it with a big wooden spoon and turn the boiling foam back in to prevent over boils. Worked ok for me, but never took my eye off it.

6.2 US Gallons/7.5 Imperial Gallons
This would be the other way round, the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon. IIRC the UK pint is 20 Floz and the US pint is 16Floz.

You have my sympathy, it is a pain to work in these different measurements.

This would be the other way round, the US gallon is smaller than the UK gallon. IIRC the UK pint is 20 Floz and the US pint is 16Floz.

You have my sympathy, it is a pain to work in these different measurements.

You're right on both accounts - especially when reading US forums!

I used to use a 32L Baby Burco for my boils and would only fill it to 27L max.

Which would probably lead me to think that I would get 19Lt post boil volume at the same ratio. Might have to spark out for a 40Lt shiny and use this as a HLT.

I got by for a few brews with a 30l boiler but you can't take your eye off it. Soon upgraded to 50l and its great being able to leave the boiler going while doing other things.

TheBigLebowski said:
Just went to upgrade to a 50lt and saw the Bergland thread :shock:

Yep that was my thread and i was GUTTED! Although i did get a new shiny from Ian @ Powell brewing and he did me a fantastic deal on it so dont be disheartened :cheers:

Latest posts

Back