Maxi BIAB - Twoflower APA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich27500

Landlord.
Reaction score
Going for this, might do an overnight or just start early tomorrow.

Twoflower APA (American Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.052 (°P): 12.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 5.11 %
Colour (SRM): 9.3 (EBC): 18.3
Bitterness (IBU): 36.2 (Average)

81.97% Pale Malt
10.25% Amber Malt
3.48% Flaked Barley
3.28% Torrified Wheat
0.51% Chocolate
0.51% Roasted Barley

1.3 g/L Northern Brewer (9.6% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes (Boil)
0.4 g/L Cascade (7.8% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 68°C for 90 Minutes. Boil for 89 Minutes

Fermented at 17°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

rich27500 said:
It's been proven that no chill cubes work better with an 89 minute boil.

Do you put it in the cube straight from the boil or let it cool slightly first? I'm using a cube tomorrow for the first time and not overly sure when to transfer it.

rich27500 said:
It's been proven that no chill cubes work better with an 89 minute boil.

Part of me thinks this is a sly wind-up :) Part of me wants to ask what you mean by "better"? I no-chill for every brew, but have yet to experiment with an 89-minute boil...

No wind up just being daft.

I leave it ten minutes then cube, I read somewhere that this preserves the late hop flavour and aroma. Not tried any of my beers since I switched to cubing so don't know if it makes a difference yet. The first beer I cubed was bottled on Thursday so when I taste test Samuel Vimes Ankh Morpork Ale in a few weeks I guess I'll find out.

DSC_0494.jpg

I'm going to sparge, if I remember I'll post pics of my sparge technique.

Did an overnight mash, boil will be finished before 09:00

I sparge three times using two kettles of water that I have left for a minute post boil. To be more exact I tip two kettles of water into the bag, lift to drain and transfer to the boiler. I repeat that process three times. 2 sparges will go straight in but it starts to get a bit full so the third goes in gradually to top up.
DSC_0496.jpg

This isn't the sparge draining but it's exactly the same process as when I initially pull the bag.
DSC_0459.jpg

That's as full as i like to get.
DSC_0497.jpg

Then i just keep topping up the boiler but wont add anything when there's less than 30 mins to go.

Looks great!!

Looking at your recipe it has the % of the grain but what is the total grain weigh so I can work out volumes. I also use an electrim and if it comes out well the may just copy you :)

I leave it ten minutes then cube, I read somewhere that this preserves the late hop flavour and aroma

Aha! Yes, I've found that to be true. (I've cubed 8 AG brews, so not a massive sample size).

There's a snag with cubing and making really hoppy beers. You really need to get the wort into the cube before it's below 80 degrees, but a post boil hop steep works best at 80 degrees! To get around this I've read that some people do "cube hopping" - a sanitised muslin bag of hops into the cube while it's cooling. Haven't got around to trying this myself though.

Latest posts

Back