Maxi Coolers for a fridge free home brewery??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hudson1984

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all, so, like most home brewers I have several fridges scattered around - one in the bar (Kegerator) and two in the "brewhouse" (Inkbird controlled for brewing)

Now, I'm quite keen to be shot of them. I want more bench space in the bar and the fridge doesn't really look right in the bar. Plus it would be nice to have room for more taps - 3 is the most my larder can take and whilst that's "ok" i'd like to expand a bit.

So, I was wondering about converting to the use of Maxi coolers?

The questions:

My "brew/bar" is a long garage, 9m x 3m. The front is where I brew, being 3m x 3m, the rear is the bar, being 6m x 3m - each seperated by a partition.

I want to be able to store kegs that are conditioning at a consistent temp - was thinking of possibly a ferminator:
https://www.geterbrewed.com/ferminator-basic/but probably re-use one of the fridges as one could probably take 4 kegs with some jiggery pokery.

I want to be able to have "on tap" kegs kept in the brewery end. And ideally routed through the partition, into (i assume) a maxi 310 or larger, ands direct into a beer engine/tap/something..

Additionally I want to be able to temperature control 2 fermenters - ideally being 14 gal brew buckets or something like that.

Is this all "possible" with Maxis? is it worth it? am I better off just sticking with my multitude of fridges?

Now is the time for me to do this as the bar area hasn't got a bar made as yet, so I can work around this plan to put it all in. Gas can stay in the bar or be moved to the brewery, whichever is easier.

any help would be great. I just want an easy temperature controlled setup from brewery to bar.

You might want to look at newer coolers, Maxis are pretty old now. Also, are you just planning on using the recirculation loop or the cooling coils as well to cool your fermenters? If you want to use the coils then you'll need pumps, usually it is the CO2 pressure pushing the beer through. I guess you plan to use the recirculation for the fermenters (plus possible keg coolers) and the cooling coils for the product coming from your kegs. Unless you have somewhere cool for your kegs you will get issues trying to balance the pressure needed to maintain the CO2 content of the beer in the warm keg and lines up to the cooler against the flow rate from the tap. If you already are keeping the kegs in a fridge then you probably wouldn't need a cooler as well, just insulate the lines well for the 3 or so metres they travel.
Another way to do this would be a glycol cooler in your brew partition, with a cooling circuit for the fermenters plus one keeping the insulated beer lines cold from fridge to tap.

Back