Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The one I did, which still isn't clear, dammit, was about 6 quid for honey, say a quid for oranges, another for cinnamon, and another for yeast.
Round it up and call it a tenner for a gallon.

Depends how expensive a honey you select and how much.
Noticed that the supermarkets have just upped the cost of their budget stuff from 64p to 99p.

If a first attempt I would suggest 4 of the cheap jars, £4, an orange, 50p, forget the cinnamon - unless you have a spare cinnamon stick lying round, add nutrient and some tanin and a general purpose yeast.

The result will be dry, light to drink and a background of orange. Basically keep it simple.

Well it's still not crystal but I bottled it anyway - having a tidy round before the holibobs.
And I find the very upfront alcohol has mellowed, the orange isn't so overpowering, and the spices are coming through.
All in all rather nice, and I imagine it will improve further. Should be a nice xmas warmer.

Popped a drop or two of vanilla essence in a half litre of it last night and tonight somebody said they really liked it. Result!
Mind you he'd had a pint of my ersatz beer, 1/4 bottle my dandelion, 1/4 bottle my nettle and a pint of turbocider before that...

Since bottling both the original recipe and the one using GP yeast, there have been several "taste tests"; the original recipe was easily the most popular, and, is my favorite of the two.

The second batch of the original Orange and Spice recipe has been put into DJs now but, as I didn't use vinclear this time, it still hasn't cleared.

This sweet, delicate Mead is well worth the wait and is best made in large batches :D

I did a mead too. Cost me about a tenner for the honey though.
Used a restart yeast too and its dropped perfectly clear after only a month and great bronze colour.
Racked it once so far and only added a campden to it, going to bottle next month and leave until xmas for sampling.

I am new to brewing but this was the first one I tried and it is clearing now although i was told to put it straight in bottles.
I have another one been in for approx 2 months: this time I may rack it before bottling: but both look fine and started me off to trying different recipes.

I had just over 6 bottles so I tried some of the extra bit after 10 weeks (says to leave at least 8 weeks but better for 6 months) it was nice but will be better soon.

No cinamon stick in mine though just cloves.

Well, that second batch of O&S Mead has cleared nicely now :D

Looking good for Xmas!

Back