Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenivida

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to put it but I am testing a Mead recipe today.

Normally an all grain beer brewer but I have been experimenting with turbo cider and Fruit juice WOW recipes

Basically wanted to try brewing a Mead. have no idea how it will turn out but worth a try :smile:

Ingredients

6 jars of Tesco Everyday Value Clear Honey 340g - 99p a jar.
50 ml of lemon juice
ec-1118 yeast
1 & 1/2 teaspoon of yeast nutrient
Water

Method

put 1 litre of water and all jars of honey into a saucepan (i used a little bit of off the boil water to get the last of the honey out the jars)

to that I added 50 ml of lemon juice and boiled for 15 minutes.

I skimmed the foam off the top as apparently that is contains a protein that you don't want (possibly).

mean while I hydrated the yeast.

after the boil had completed I added another litre of water and cooled to pitching temp. I then put all the nutrients and honey water into a 5 litre demijohn and aerated by shaking with a bung in.

once that was done I added topped up with water to WOW levels and added the yeast.

once fermentation is complete I will top up with water to 5 litres and once clear I will bottle.

will let you know how it turns out

WP_20151209_21_09_45_Pro_LI.jpg
WP_20151209_20_29_57_Pro_LI.jpg

6 jars of Tesco Everyday Value Clear Honey 340g - 99p a jar.

2kg honey in 5ltrs will probably come out fairly sweet, but it should be strong and have a decent honey aroma and taste. I did one last year with 7.7kg orange blossom honey in 21ltrs...came out well, though definitely in the medium sweet category. I was using Lalvin 71B 1122..and it finished at 1.014. Maybe your ec-1118 will finish at a lower gravity and not be as sweet as I'm thinking.
I'm working on mead recipes today and have just ordered 21lbs of orange blossom honey to have a go at a few recipes inc a pyment using 50% honey and 50% welch's concord purple grape juice. Need to squeeze it in between a couple of planned beer brews ...and it locks up my fermenter for 3-4 weeks.

Let us know how it turns out.

I did exactly the same recipe without the lemon juice. Have been told it's good to make a starter as honey can be difficult to get going.
For mead I rehydrate the yeast in go-ferm, and add fermaid-k nutrient in sequential additions over the first 3-5 days. Not sure if it makes a difference... but that's what they seem to do in the US these days.

I've made about a dozen meads with varying levels of success. The best was from honey from a bee-keeper friend.
As has been pointed out, they can be a git to get going.

One thing I have noticed is that they can have a tendency to 'stall' and, once bottled, spuriously start to ferment again.
Because of this I am stabilising future batches prior to bottling.

It is bubbling away after 24 hours. no krausen though

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzFAVAz780&feature=youtu.be"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzFAVAz780&feature=youtu.be[/ame]

It is bubbling away after 24 hours. no krausen though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OzFAVAz780&feature=youtu.be

That looks healthy. I have found in my very limited experience the ones with jam in went off a bit stronger. Guess its the sugar content. The only honey brews were slow fermenting compared to beer for sure.
Interesting about starting to ferment again cos i put some in a bottle and its now carbonating. Have any of you tried it mulled? :grin:

OFF TOPIC -

Where did you get the airlock, is it glass?

Yeah I have a few. My dad used to make wine about 20 years ago. Found a load of equipment in his shed about 8 x 5 litre demijohns a few glass airlocks and an old Demijohn heater made by boots :thumb:

Interesting about starting to ferment again cos i put some in a bottle and its now carbonating. Have any of you tried it mulled? :grin:

This is my first attempt at mead but mulled mead sounds very Christmasy :wink:

The Complete Joy of homebrewing (fourth edition) has some interesting mead recipes including a ginger mead

Yeah I have a few. My dad used to make wine about 20 years ago. Found a load of equipment in his shed about 8 x 5 litre demijohns a few glass airlocks and an old Demijohn heater made by boots :thumb:

Yeah I remember those from years back, really easy to break and get very fine bits of glass everywhere, I was glad when the much cheaper compact plastic ones came along. You can still get them for around a fiver upwards if you are a careful type.

blending sounds a good way forward (my medium sweet which ended at 1.015 is a bit sweet for me so I can imagine what 1.035 will be like) . I see Waitrose have a half price offer on welch's purple (concord) grape juice... I may nip along and get my 9ltrs for at £1.25/ltr for my concord pyment and move it up the brewing schedule.

Finally stopped fermenting. Raked to secondary fermenter had a sneaky taste and it tastes amazing, really sweet but that is not surprising as the gravity is at 1.059. now just need to wait for it to clear.

Latest posts

Back