Mead

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally stopped fermenting. Raked to secondary fermenter had a sneaky taste and it tastes amazing, really sweet but that is not surprising as the gravity is at 1.059. now just need to wait for it to clear.

1.059 is quite a high end gravity, it but I guess you started with quite a lot of honey...I thought it might get down to 1.030. Glad it tastes good at this stage. What was the starting gravity?

I'am going to make a mead very soon, should I staberlse it at the end ??
If so should I treat it like wine, rack on to a Camden tablet etc

Also is grape better than apple juice,
I'am thinking of using youngs yeast is that ok

I'am going to make a mead very soon, should I staberlse it at the end ??
If so should I treat it like wine, rack on to a Camden tablet etc

I stabilised mine (just to be sure) and used half campden tablet per gallon to try to prevent oxidation..so similar to wine.

Also is grape better than apple juice,
I'am thinking of using youngs yeast is that ok
Am just about to do my first pyment so don't know what gape +honey tastes like vs apple+ honey. On yeast, most people seem to used Lalvin ec-1118 or Lalvin 71B 1122.

Am just about to do my first pyment so don't know what gape +honey tastes like vs apple+ honey. On yeast, most people seem to used Lalvin ec-1118 or Lalvin 71B 1122.

Thanks for the info, I'am about to do my first mead
I've got 1L off apple juice In stock + 3 x 340ml jars off honey
Think I need to go shopping lol
Could I do anything with what I have

Thanks for the info, I'am about to do my first mead
I've got 1L off apple juice In stock + 3 x 340ml jars off honey

1 ltr apple juice and 3 jars 340g honey may come out a bit dry ..might be better off with 2ltr or 2.5ltrs apple juice...plus you youngs wine yeast....plus yeast nutrient.

Thanks
Should I buy more honey
Or just go with 2 litre , 2.5 litre of apple juice

Mead made with Apple juice is called cyser I believe. For the purisit it's not mead.

I was asked last year to make some by a friend. Something to do with that game of thrones malarkey.

Took ages to ferment out. And yes deffo stabalise as he opened a bottle months down the line and autolosis had occurred making it fizzy mead. He didn't mind though.

We flavoured them one demi of clove, one lemon and the last one ginger and black pepper ( the best one in my opinion) the other one was just plain.

I heard feeding neutrients to it over the course helps with fermentation. Also a strong tea brew helps as honey is very low in tannin.

I've just got a maple syrup methaglyn I believe it's called clearing. So that should be er different.

Opps
Think I have to much sugar
Do I pitch the yeast ???

image.jpg

assuming that's representative of whats in the demi john (is it well mixed?), you could dilute it...there's space to top up a little to get the gravity down slightly. My last semi sweet mead started at 1.120. Then pitch the yeast....

It's very well mixed
My hydrometer stops at 1150, and that reading is just showing
I have topped it up more
added pectolase , shall I add tannin ??

If you want to add tannin I'd go the tea bag route....make a little strong tea and add it. I find the wine tannin powder can be a bit harsh (when I used it in turbo ciders).

Thanks
Should be interesting to see where the final Gravity is at the end

Should I use pectolase, just yeast and yeast nutrient please

No need to use Pectolase, this is an enzyme which breaks down Pectin which is found in fruits and veg so is only needed if using real fruit. I see this used in alot of recipes where its really not needed.

I suspect my Mead has stalled, need to check it this evening.

Oh by the way my final gravity is wrong. I did not know that alcohol messes with the readings on refractometer. will take a new reading with a hydrometer when bottling

3x jars of honey, aldi cheapest lol
2.5 L of Apple juice , asda £2 for 2L stuf
Suger 500g
Youngs super wine yeast
Youngs yeast nutrition stuf, can't remember the proper name for it :lol:
Pectolase
It's still bubbling away, might add a little more nutrient next week?? Should I ??

Latest posts

Back