metalic taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcountry pie

Reaction score
Hi everyone
been kit brewing for about 5 months now with about 7 brews under my belt and lovin every minute,great hobby.But ive encountered a problem with 3 of the last 4 brews,after around 4 weeks conditioning in the keg they have a metalic taste in the brew,the brews were 2 edme stout kits and a tom caxton best bitter kit all done with spray malt.Does anyone know what could be giving this metalic taste in the brews.much obliged for any help.

hi is it a tin kind of taste , that could be down to old kits always try and get a fresh ish kit ,check the dates on em before buying and sometimes if using sugar or brew enhancer too much can do that too

Metallic tastes are usually unprotected metals dissolving into the wort, possibly poor tinning but unusual. Hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malt is another so an old kit could probably account for it. Check for contact with metals in your brew process just in case.

Hi,
Are you using tap or bottled water? If tap it might be worth trying some bottled water in one batch to eliminate your local water supply if applicable.
Also does this taste never dissipate if left a bit longer?

I had a metalic taste coming from my corny kegs and got rid of it by giving them a full clean and removing all the rubber seals.

On the subject of tap or bottle water I always uses bottled water, it puts an extra £4 on your brew but I think it taste better than tap water.

I got a metallic flavour when I started using Chemipro Oxi. It's supposed to be a no rinse cleaner type thing but once I started rinsing after use the metallic taste went :)

Cheers Tom

Thanx for the help guys,ive got a couple of brews on the goat the mo,one is muntons midland mild(mild is my favourite beer)with 500g of extra dark spraymalt and 500g of soft dark brown sugar and the other is nelsons revenge,so after these i will try with bottled water.i use the little co2 injectors so the cap has the metal valve and ive noticed on the barrel which as just been emtied the bottem of the valve is green,could it be possible that this might have an effect on the beer tasting metalic? thanx again for all your help.

blackcountry pie said:
i use the little co2 injectors so the cap has the metal valve and ive noticed on the barrel which as just been emtied the bottem of the valve is green,could it be possible that this might have an effect on the beer tasting metalic? thanx again for all your help.

I doubt it. Mine has the same stuff on it. It's sort of slimy stuff but just a thin coating?
I wouldn't worry about it. Using bottled water is a good way to eliminate your own supply. Good luck to you :thumb:

Cheers Tom

Thanx Tom,ill remove and clean the rubber seals and use bottled water and ill check the dates on the kits from now on.thanx again tom and to all you other guys.

Generally speaking, the dates on kits only refer to the yeast. The extract in the cans will have been pasteurized and should be safe to use well after the date. The yeast however is will have lose most of it's viability so you'd need a fresh packet

Cheers Tom

soupdragon said:
I got a metallic flavour when I started using Chemipro Oxi. It's supposed to be a no rinse cleaner type thing but once I started rinsing after use the metallic taste went :)

Cheers Tom

Just experienced a metallic twang for the first time. Actually from a brew made back in March. Had not noticed it before (and it's nearly all drunk). This was an extract brew done in a big ceramic casserole dish, so no metal anywhere near it. Also used Chemipro Oxi - including rinsing the bottles. I wonder if this bottle still had a few drops of solution in it...

Inneed said:
soupdragon said:

Cheers Tom

Just experienced a metallic twang for the first time. Actually from a brew made back in March. Had not noticed it before (and it's nearly all drunk). This was an extract brew done in a big ceramic casserole dish, so no metal anywhere near it. Also used Chemipro Oxi - including rinsing the bottles. I wonder if this bottle still had a few drops of solution in it...

It's possible but as you'd rinsed the bottles before filling, the residue would be very low level. Unless you used a very strong solution?
I've heard people mention some form of infection that can cause a metallic taste. Another thought is the possibility of a damaged can of extract but if the flavour is only now showing then I'd doubt that is the cause.

Cheers Tom

Sorry, wasn't clear. Rinsed the bottles with the Chemipro Oxi solution, not rinsed the bottles afterwards with water. If they weren't totally dry (quite likely) I'd have left a bit of cleaning solution in there. The fact that this was one bottle out of 30-odd good-uns already drunk suggests that this is the cause. That or ageing...

Inneed said:
If they weren't totally dry (quite likely) I'd have left a bit of cleaning solution in there. The fact that this was one bottle out of 30-odd good-uns already drunk suggests that this is the cause.

Ah, that sounds more likely.

There has been more than one occasion where I've come to fill a bottle and found 1/4 inch or so of water in the bottom. Sometimes it's easy to forget to drain one bottle out of the 4 or 5 I use ( overspill from corny ), so one out of a full batch seems more feasable.

Cheers Tom

Back