Method needed please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canarybeer

Reaction score
Hi
Newbie here with first post.

I have an electrim mashing bin and the usual fermenters etc. I also have a converted fridge so can hold any temperature for fermenting and lagering.

I have done a couple of all grain kits with great success and want to try some lagers. I visited a web store and bought two kits. One is a Grolsch clone the other is called imperial Lager.

I was very surprised to receive hardly any method ie how you do it.
There was no yeast either. My previous kits had full instructions so I am lost without. Can you guys look at the info I have a recommend a method and also a yeast please.

Grolsch

Ingredients

QuantityUnitWeight
g
4130g4130 Lager Malt730g730 Flaked Maize20g20 HALLERTAUER (MITTLEFRUH) PELLETS30g30 SAAZ Pellets
Other Information

AuthorGaza's BrewAuthor's NotesStepped Infusion Mash
50� C - 20 Minutes
62�C - 45 Minutes
70�C - 45 Minutes
Qty. Ingredients4FG1011Bitterness EBU27Colour EBC3Boil Time (min)90Fermentation Temp. (C)18.0Vol. Mash Liquor (L)20.00Vol. Start Boil (L)23.00Vol. End Boil (L)23.00Date Last Updated02/02/16

The Imperial lager is

3650g3650 Muntons Pilsner Malt5.84100g100 Dingemans Biscuit Malt0.50145g145 Weyermann Carapils®0.50185g185
No other info at all with this one.

Any help would be great

This looks like MaltMiller custom recipe kits, in which case you should heed the warning on its web page:
When ordering kits created by customers you must ensure you are completely familiar with what the kit contains, some may not be "complete" whilst others may not have instructions.

I would recommend putting the ingredients into the Brewer's Friend recipe calculator and playing around to see what you can make.

The warning on Malt Millers webpage has only just appeared after my complaint.

We shall be editing the "All Grain Recipe Kits" page to make it clear that customers ordering kits from this section must be sure of what it comprises.

In fairness they offered a full refund and have now posted this warning.

Thanks for the advise Iain I will take a look.

We shall be editing the "All Grain Recipe Kits" page to make it clear that customers ordering kits from this section must be sure of what it comprises.

Ah, I see. In which case, this is a great opportunity to play with the recipe builder and see what you can come up with.

Ah, I see. In which case, this is a great opportunity to play with the recipe builder and see what you can come up with.

I havent put the figures through brewing software but 'Imperial Pilsner' sounds like it's going to be quite a high OG. There's and imperial Pilsner reciepe in my Greg Hughes book. It uses Pilsner, Carapils and biscuit malt for the grains and all Hallertau mittlefrauh for the hops at 60/10/0 min additions. The suggested yeast is Wyeast 2124 bohemian lager yeast with a dry alternative of Fermentis 34/70. Mangrove Jacks do a dry bohemian lager yeast. The greg hughes recipe has an OG of 1.079. If your reciepe is similar your going to need a hell of a lot of yeast as lagers need twice as much yeast as ales.

Process wise you can use the more traditional lager method https://www.jaysbrewing.com/2012/04/10/easiest-guide-on-how-to-lager-homebrew/

or Brulosophers quick method http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

The reciepe pack you bought mentions step mashing with the temp stages detailed but you can just do a single infusion mash if you dont want to do a step mash

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was introduced to Beersmith and in no time was able to come up with a method. I now realise there isn't just one method for my ingredients but lots. That's what makes it fun I guess :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back