Mildly panicking about first brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigYan

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!!!

Not sure if I'm panicking unnecessarily.

I'm in the process if brewing a few things that i have found in the forum for the first time

I have currently got:
23l batch of Firey Ginger beer in first fermentation (7th day today)
5l of Hard Lemonade in PET Demijohn (7th day)
15l of "Breakfast punch" (orange/Grapefruit/lemon/lime/Blood orange(a take off the hard lemonade with fresh squeezed juices and fruits(again on 7th day)))

Originally before i put the champagne yeast in all 3 brews they all tasted FANTASTIC and was really looking forward to them all. Today however, as the airlock bubbles have all slowed considerably i decided to test the FG to see how they are coming along. I am not sure if i should have but i took a quick sip of all 3 batched and they all tasted very odd in-dead. They all had a considerable chemical taste to them.

Is this normal as the brews are not out of their respective FV with the fruits/yeasts still inside or should i start to get worried that all 3 are ruined :shock: :shock: :(

when yeast ferments is produces biproducts; alcohol is just one of these. They need reabsorobe reabsorbed by the yeast post fermentation, which is one reason why lager rests on the lease for so long. Anyway, just let fermentation finish, and then leave them a week or so. Also, you can try degassing the juices. Fermentation gasses often smell vile, and if dissolved in the liquid it will affect flavour by coming out in its aroma.
Just so your clear, the aroma compounds of food and drink are what makes up the majority of its taste and is sensed in the nose rather than the tongue, which one has 5 taste sensations. Think of beer where the majority of the bittering can be tasted on the tongue, but the aroma characteristics of the hop add extra zing, those aren't really bitter but are 'smelt' (sniff a good pint) and sensed as taste and flavour in the nose... Thats why adding late hopp aditions makes sense and why canned kits never taste as satisfying.

Back