Mini Keg Start kit Q's

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feralCheese

Reaction score
Hi Guys n Gals,

After bottling for years, and having mixed results with a couple of wilko pressure kegs, i'm really interested in trying these mini keg starter kits;

http://www.brewuk.co.uk/mini-keg-starter-kit.html#review-point

Using these - would be great as I can chill the whole keg in a fridge, and I'm not constantly sanitising bottles, getting frustrated, and ordering new bottles :doh:

I have some questions though around the use of these;

1) I have a brew on the go at the moment (chocolate stout based on a Coopers kit) - around 15ltr. I would look to fill all three mini kegs with this in one go. Can this be done? i.e. filled, sealed with bung, and then tap connected at a later date for consumption? Or would the bung have to come out (thus releasing pressure), in order to fit the tap?

2) Are the bungs in the said kit re-useable?

3) Once filled and sealed, what kind of shelf life would you expect to get?

Apologies if this has been covered off somewhere else :mrgreen:

1 / you only put th tap in when you need to drink the keg. Tap remains in place until finished.

2 - yes you can.

3 - I am not sure haven't been using them long enough. I think my Belgian ale has been 3 months in keg and that was flat on pouring but that should be a seal issue

Leon had answered Q1 and Q2.

Q3. I opened a keg that I've had for 2 months (which is the longest I've stored one so far) this week and it was as carbed as a keg of one month old of the same beer. Basically a MK is a big 5L bottle and I suspect unopened they will have shelf life of many months

Purchase made :) I have 6 of the 5ltr kegs; 2 with a choclate stout, 2 with a kit ipa, and 2 with a kit scottish export. I also got the brewferm party tap.

The bungs are genius! I can also tell that the kegs are carbonating as I accidently pressed the inner of the bung some way in when fitting them. They have now pushed their way back to the correct position.

Im tempted to try one but I have some remaining bottled beer to get through!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back