Mixed beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
I am having a delivery of milk crates to store my beer bottles in. Hey hey!!
Anyway as a payment I want to make my milkman some of his fave beer which is what we up north call mixed! I am wondering what kit recipe might come close to this. Any help would be great. :cheers: :thumb:

Ah mixed beer. Never seen it in a bottle.. or on draught.. I guess you have to mix it.. thus the name.

Not very helpful sorry, but glad to see mixed is still going .. at least with your milk man.

Thanks for that. Maybe theres a AG version? I wonder if I aim for a pale brown ale it wont be far off? Thanks again. :cheers: :thumb:

chassyp said:
Maybe theres a AG version? I wonder if I aim for a pale brown ale it wont be far off?

Maybe there is a new brew style to be brewed! Half bitter half mild.. or both brewed to double the length in one go...

If I put a tin of each in the FV, would I not have to put sugar in too? :cheers: :thumb:

Just make 2 brews one bitter one mild, then bottle separately and leave. It to you milk to make his own mix when you serve as you would in a pub. If you just use two tins but only 5 gallons which is the way I read it your bitterness would be way to high for what you are trying to achieve.

Can remember as a teenager a lot of older men would drink mild & bitter around these parts. Very rare you see mild around here now.

Cheers for the input all. I just wonder what proportions would be for the malt syrup then? I`m a bit concerned that the mixing of the bottles will disturb the sediments and the end product be yacky! Do you think I may be better off using spraymalts? Thanks in advance. :thumb: :cheers:

Are there different versions of a pint of mixed depending on what part of the north you are from.

When I was a kid, a few mates and myself regulary followed Hull City to both home and away matches. Before a game at Stoke we had a pint of mixed in a pub just up the road from the ground. All I really remember about the place is that the bar was one of the longest I had ever seen, and the pint we had was a mixture of lager and bitter. Being kids we were sh*tt*ng ourselves because the bar was just full of Stoke fans and the drink was like dishwater.

Never having drunk mixed I`m not sure to be honest! I just thought it was half and half! I do remember when I was a nipper some of the old guys in my pub having mixed beer from what they called the slops!! It was what was left in the drip trays and was the cheapest stuff going. Sometimes mostly bitter/mild/but could also get some lager chucked in I suppose. I cant imaging anyone doing that today can you?? :thumb: :cheers:

Half and Half. You also got brown split which was bitter and brown ale. Favoured choice by students on a field trip i went on as the bar man was not very good at pouring a half of bitter in a pint glass :whistle: :whistle:

worked in a club when i was a teenager on the outskirts of manchester and mixed was all the rage then ... ok it was a working mans club ok lol .... but was defo bitter / mild . others used to drink golden which was bitter/lager mix ... though i use to try and show i was posh ( cough ) and drink poormans black velvet ( guiness/cider mix) ... it never worked .. should have guessed with the name really :lol: :lol:

I brewed a coopers Brewmaster Stout with Black treacle (which was lovely) and gave a 1.5L grolsch swing top bottle full to my work mate, he added this to a minikeg and then filled the rest with Woodfordes Wherry bitter.

This is what Iwould call a black and tan.

He said that this Beer was amazing but I didnt taste it so have no personal opinion on it.

He doesnt shut up about it though.

:cheers:

Back