More on hop planting

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shuggie159

Reaction score
I went down the allotment and had a good dig around my 3 year established Cascade hop plant. I was looking for rhysomes to propagate further plants. Unfortunately there were nothing resembling nodules on any roots. There were many horizontal runner roots radiating away from the central heart. I didn't want to do too much damage, so came away with two 10mm diam. approx 8"-12" lengths of root, which I have potted up in home compost, and put in the cold frame.

Anybody know what my chances are of having babies in the spring?

Cheers

Wrong time of the year to be taking cuttings. Wait until the spring, when your plant has started to grow. Pick out the best 6 bines for growing. Any other shoots, just cut straight down with a sharp knife. opt these cuttings into free draining compost and grow on. Ive taken 100`s of cuttings with a very good strike rate

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for rhysomes. Nodduley bits of root which are independently viable. I was hoping to get an early start in establishing a new plant this year. They are currently being sold by nursery firms so I think now is the time.

My question really is what is a rhysome? and will an ordinary bit of root work? From your response, I'm not at all hopeful my trial will work.

Leading on from that - how can I encourage my plant to make rhysomes. Could I for instance 'layer-up' a bind as per strawberries etc. I may try taking a new bind when its about 3 - 4 foot long taking out the growing tip, and covering it up with compost.

On the basis that my bits of root fail, and I guess that is the probability, I will try the bits of stem in a bottle technique, but I was hoping to steal a year!

My single plant has been so successful over the last 3 years, that I am looking to replicate the process in my own garden and indeed several other locations that I have identified. Not only is a hop productive its also quite verdant and could fill many a drab corner. Without doubt a tall trellis helps but I don't think its essential.

shuggie, from your reply I take it that you do know a little about horticulture. A root cutting may take, but why would you want to go in and chop of a piece of root from a established plant, the plant just aint going to be happy. Layering...Ive never tried it, cant see why it wont work. Hops are the easiest plant in the world (Clarkeson) to take cuttings from. Im afraid you wont be able to steal a years growth on any method you use. Basial (sp) cuttings are the way to go, but you have to wait 3 years for a decent crop, yes you can cut corners and harvest after the first year, but this is no good for the future.

Thanks for the reply.

I was looking for rhysomes. Nodduley bits of root which are independently viable. I was hoping to get an early start in establishing a new plant this year. They are currently being sold by nursery firms so I think now is the time.

My question really is what is a rhysome? and will an ordinary bit of root work? From your response, I'm not at all hopeful my trial will work.

Leading on from that - how can I encourage my plant to make rhysomes. Could I for instance 'layer-up' a bind as per strawberries etc. I may try taking a new bind when its about 3 - 4 foot long taking out the growing tip, and covering it up with compost.

On the basis that my bits of root fail, and I guess that is the probability, I will try the bits of stem in a bottle technique, but I was hoping to steal a year!

My single plant has been so successful over the last 3 years, that I am looking to replicate the process in my own garden and indeed several other locations that I have identified. Not only is a hop productive its also quite verdant and could fill many a drab corner. Without doubt a tall trellis helps but I don't think its essential.
Layer up/layering is not needed with hops, just take a basial cutting

Back