More plastic pb questions...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm cleaning out the dreaded Wilko on seeing as the black stuff has vanished...
I've had lots of problems since I've had it...it holds pressure/carbs up ok but then when I need to gas it,it seems to lose pressure and has vented while screwing the bulb in...
I've fettled the opening,bought a new king keg lid for it as the lid supplied had a rubbish pin in the valve. Last time I tried some PTFE around the neck threads but I think this was stopping the lid bedding onto the gasket..
Looking at the valve setting it doesn't seem to sit right so I've undone the locking nut and removed it all to see how it's made. There is a large silicone seal, brown,that sits below the thread,this wasn't seated evenly,so I adjusted it. The tiny purple seal under the valve looks ok. The black rubber disk that seals the valve into the hole in the lid I've removed and given a smear if petroleum jelly. I've removed the PTFE from the neck threads,and put petroleum jelly on the lid gasket.
I've done all this because I'm cleaning with oxi...which we know produces lots of gas,oxygen,when it gets going.
The lid has been replaced hand tight...and a bit more..and I've given it a good shake up.
And.....it's holding pressure and dispensing water under pressure from the oxygen created by the oxi...
Should I chance sticking another brew in it?
Is there anything I've done wrong in my meddling with it and could I do anything else?

Last edited:
Go for it though I would still go round everything with soapy water while there is pressure in there. But make sure you have enough bottles spare in case it still proves unreliable.
And I think the idea of trying correct a leak from the primary gasket seal between cap and PB by wrapping PTFE round the cap thread on the PB top opening is bizarre. So I think you have done the right thing by hopefully sorting out the cap gasket and mating surfaces, esp since you are much more likely to get to get a gas tight seal at that joint as that is what it is designed to do.

Thanks Terrym...
But I've just cracked the tap and the gas pressure is gone so it's still leaking from somewhere...I might have a go with the soapy water trick...
I've put more oxi in it,and put another quarter turn on the valve locking nut. I've covered the lid as best I can with soapy water and can see no sign of any gas escaping ...although putting soap under the lid rim is difficult..just tried it and pressure gone. I might waste a gas bulb...

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm cleaning out the dreaded Wilko on seeing as the black stuff has vanished...
I've had lots of problems since I've had it...it holds pressure/carbs up ok but then when I need to gas it,it seems to lose pressure and has vented while screwing the bulb in...
I've fettled the opening,bought a new king keg lid for it as the lid supplied had a rubbish pin in the valve. Last time I tried some PTFE around the neck threads but I think this was stopping the lid bedding onto the gasket..
Looking at the valve setting it doesn't seem to sit right so I've undone the locking nut and removed it all to see how it's made. There is a large silicone seal, brown,that sits below the thread,this wasn't seated evenly,so I adjusted it. The tiny purple seal under the valve looks ok. The black rubber disk that seals the valve into the hole in the lid I've removed and given a smear if petroleum jelly. I've removed the PTFE from the neck threads,and put petroleum jelly on the lid gasket.
I've done all this because I'm cleaning with oxi...which we know produces lots of gas,oxygen,when it gets going.
The lid has been replaced hand tight...and a bit more..and I've given it a good shake up.
And.....it's holding pressure and dispensing water under pressure from the oxygen created by the oxi...
Should I chance sticking another brew in it?
Is there anything I've done wrong in my meddling with it and could I do anything else?

Are you using the original round-section seal in the King Keg cap or are you using one of the flat ones? The flat ones sound like a good idea but are not thick enough to give a good seal.

Are you using a cap spanner to tighten down the cap? I use one and turn it as hard as I can. If you’re not doing the same you may just not be getting a well sealed joint.

Have you replaced that brown pressure release rubber? If not (and the two points above are good) this could well be your problem. They are tricksy and look OK but they loose elasticity and don’t properly seal.

The soapy water idea is good too in case you have a split seam or pinhole. I think @terrym has had these issues with the Wilco barrels.

It's rubbish...or I am at fettling kegs..I've wasted a gas bulb on it,tightened the lid and plenty of bubbles..can't see any leaks..I'll leave it now and see what happens.

It's rubbish...or I am at fettling kegs..I've wasted a gas bulb on it,tightened the lid and plenty of bubbles..can't see any leaks..I'll leave it now and see what happens.

You don’t want bubbles, you want to wipe a strong fairy liquid mix over the surface (no bubbles) and then look for any bubbles forming that indicate a leak.

It's been around 20 minutes now and it's still holding...
Coming up to an hour and still holding...
I wonder with the oxi if the initial gas created absorbed into the water? Like c02 does at low temps,reducing the pressure..

Last edited:
If you think your PB is now leak tight, but still not 100% sure, put 20 litres water in it with 100g sugar and a goodly slug of yeast, put it in a warm place and it should pressurise as would a beer, within a few days. Cheaper than bulbs, but just not as quick.

I've just cracked the tap and there was an escape of gas but the water inside just bubbled a lot as it's probably just only on the level of the tap...

Back