More plastic pb questions...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the other hand...I've inherited a load of fruit trees down the allotment...plenty of apples...I might juice the lot and bung the lot in the naughty keg and leave it in the brew shed til next year...just let it do it's thing...

If you’re good at diy you can convert your cap to a Buffers brewery barrel bung as used by myself and @Petefin .

This is the Buffers brewery prototype

6CE50106-92B9-451D-890E-C9F73CB7D4F3.jpeg

This is the @Petefin version

4D2C49FE-64DF-485A-A44E-EAE4C34F4DE0.jpeg

In my experience...no! But the advice is to swap out the gasket for a flat profile,get a lid spanner to rag it tight,fettle the rim flat...

I was having a similar problem after replacing the top on an old Boots barrel with a new (Youngs) King Keg top.
It seemed ok pressurised with Co2 and checked in a tin bath but failed to maintain pressure once filled with beer.

Yesterday I swopped the O ring for a larger square prolile replacement thinking it's worth a couple of quid to try it and day 2 maintaining pressure and all seems well so worth a shot maybe.

I don't know why you lot have so many problems with PB's. The two I reconditioned that had been lying in a shed since we bought the house 20 years ago both work fine. One has a date stamp on the base - made in 1986. Probably not food grade by today's standards, but they're reliable.

Probably not food grade by today's standards, but they're reliable.
A couple of years back I was gifted a PB from the 1980s which hadn't been used for some time which I cleaned up and put to use, Sadly it only lasted two brews. For me the cheaper ones were still as **** then as they are now.

Back