Morgan's kits double up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satellitemark

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi Guys ,

Brew2bottle have a deal on these kits, I fancy the blonde and gold kits but know very little about them, I can't find anything about the expected abv of these kits or much else about them.

I normally do Muntons two cans and bulldog 3kg kits that range in abv from 6 to 8 % and am thinking of doubling up these kits to try to get something on a par with what I normally brew.

The Morgan's kits are currently at £8.50 each and my normal kits are around £23-£25 each.

Does anyone have the abv for these kits or any other information / opinions before I buy them ?
All input welcome.

Mark

I make them now and again.
I tend to make the Frontier IPA. Not a bad drop with hops & different yeast.
I think the two you're looking at are the cheaper cans. I don't tend to use them.

However I've stopped making any other of their kits for the time being.
I complained about a Blue Mountains Lager a while back. I felt the feedback was poor.
I dropped a bottle of it into my LHBS for the rep to pick up.
Due to covid he didn't visit the shop. Partly as the owner was working from home during the day and coming in later.
This allowed him to keep all his staff on which was good of him.
This week I got back onto Morgans. The result is I'm meeting the New South Wales rep for a coffee / tea on Tuesday morning when he will at last pick up the sample.
From talking to him the other day I believe that the yeast supplied in all the kits is a generic ale yeast.

Morgans info here.
Morgan’s Beer Kits « Morgans Brewing
But then again looking at that it's got EBC= colour
But IBU for only the two latest releases. The Frontier & Pacific.
I'll bring it up with the rep. Finding the IBU for these kits is a bit hit and miss.
I looked on another site and it contradicted the Morgans site.

Last edited:
Thanks Pete, it's looking like it will be safer to stick to my Muntons or bulldog kits.

It's a shame as like a blonde ale.

Mark

Thanks Pete, it's looking like it will be safer to stick to my Muntons or bulldog kits.

It's a shame as like a blonde ale.

Mark
I've never made the Muntons two can kits. I couldn't buy them locally and the postage made them too expensive.
But recently I think I have seen them in a HBS that I pass when occasionally when I'm working.
I'll have to check how much he charges for them. The bloke in that place reckons the Morgans kits are better than Coopers, but wouldn't use the kit yeast.
Even without postage I've been kind of put off with the cost.

By the time you buy a couple of those cans you're up to £ 17. Then if you add fermentables & different yeast it mounts up.

I have got a Muntons kit sat here ready to brew. It's the Yorkshire Bitter kit.
I did write to Muntons. Told them what I had on hand. Yeast, LDME, hops and asked what they suggested.
To start with they said they'd pass it on to the experts. Then came back with a rather vague reply.
Customer service no better than Morgans in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back