Motueka!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got lots of pilsner malt...
So...
4kg pilsner
400 carapils..?
Bitter with magnum..late addition and/or hopstand with Motueka,dry hop with Motueka.
Yeast..CML Helles

Motueka is described as Saaz-like and dual-purpose. Edge towards a Czech Pilsner rather than a hoppy lager. I find adding 5-10% melanoidin light and the rest Pisner malt puts the malt profile in the right ball-park. Bitter as high as 40IBUs, I think I might be tempted by the hopstand or just a flameout addition, but I don't think I'd dry hop this one.

I've had a Motueka DDH IPA from Polly's Brew and a pale ale triple hopped with Cascade, Mosaic and Motueka from Arbor Ales.
Both were very good beers, more interesting than a Pilsner

By putting motueka in a pilsner/lager/pale ale/IPA, it'll instantly transform your beer into a New Zealand pilsner/lager/pale ale/IPA. 😂

(it'll go well in any of the above types. I used it in a pale ale recently that went down very well)

Other option, or one that could be done with a split batch - Motueka works in a saison, you could just take off a gallon and put a saison yeast in the same wort.

I wouldn't say it's that Saaz-like, it has a whole limey thing going on that you don't get with noble hops, there's a reason why NZ pilsner is considered a separate thing, and Motueka is one of the classic hops for NZP.

Back