Mulled cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill W

Reaction score
Well, I've found a way to make my hellishly acidic cider drinkable! Cider, dark brown sugar (lots) cinnamon sticks bay leaves cloves, other spices or flavourings of choice and a good glug of rum or brandy. Chuck it all in a saucepan and heat gently until nearly at the boil but not quite, then turn it right down, or even off. Chuck in some slices of orange. Leave it to steep for 5 minutes of so, then add another glug of brandy or rum just before serving hot.

What kind of cider did you use? I've been looking for a mulled recipe now that it's the season but I don't really know what to start with.

What kind of cider did you use? I've been looking for a mulled recipe now that it's the season but I don't really know what to start with.

I used some of my this year's home-brewed stuff. It's very acidic, having been made mostly with cookers, due to a shortage of sweet eating apples. You could use any dry cider because you're going to sweeten it with the brown sugar.

Going to make some of this now, will report back on results. Input cider will be a very dry aspall so I think this should work well.

Happy to report back it's excellent! I used Kraken Rum as I figured the spices would blend in nicely and that has worked well. Other than that I used vanilla infused brown sugar which added some really nice notes!

Back