muscovado

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Out shopping with swmbo today and passed by the sugar and noticed muscovado sugar. I have three kits and was thinking which is the best kit to add muscovado to. I have a Wherry. A golden lager and one that has sprouted legs at the moment which I can't locate but I think it's a bitter. Or do I have to go and buy a stout.
I have read posts where people have added said sugar but wondering which is the best to add to or is there no preference.

Regards.
CIB

I added about 400g of muscovado to a best bitter (might have been a Tom Claxtons 1 can kit) along with a kilo of beer enhancer. Came out very nice indeed.

Would probably keep it away from the golden lager as it wouldnt be very golden any more, try adding golden syrup instead!

I can recommend it in a stout. Should be fine in a bitter.
Would spoil the appearance of a paler brew like lager, IMO, but that's the main objection.

Maybe best not to overdo it, whatever the kit, until you decide you like the taste in a beer.
I mean - you might like tinned tomatoes, but you wouldn't add one of them.

So 200g might be enough for starters?

Happy brewing
:cheers:

Slid said:
Would spoil the appearance of a paler brew like lager, IMO, but that's the main objection.

Maybe best not to overdo it, whatever the kit, until you decide you like the taste in a beer.

Happy brewing
Thanks for the info Slid. I was going to use a full 2lb bag in a brew just like any other sugar :hmm:

cask is best said:
Slid said:

Happy brewing
Thanks for the info Slid. I was going to use a full 2lb bag in a brew just like any other sugar :hmm:
It's a strong flavoured sugar so 1kg may well be too much for a first go - I would expect the lager and Wherry to taste really weird with muscovado and would stick to adding into a darker beer. That said I am about to try 1kg in a TC to see if it generates a fuller flavour - no idea what it will be like fab or funky, perhaps you just need to experiment with a random kit.

Dave

cask is best said:
Slid said:

Happy brewing

I only do kits. On every kit it says 1kg of sugar. So is that not par for the course. I have substituted treacle once and did the necessary calculations but sugar granules I have just put the statutory 1kg in. Thanks for the advice :thumb:

Back