My 3 year old may have ruined my beer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickW

Landlord.
Reaction score
I had to hold back my anger today as I found out my toddler had taken off the airlock and poured the water in the FV!

Well, it's hard to tell if any went in, but it's likely :(

Reckon there's a chance iT's ruined? It's close to FG if that's any saviour

I was reading somewhere that once there is above 4% ABV
it is difficult for nastys to get a start, that being said
there is still the chance of the vinigar bacteria getting a hold

not sure if this is just for wine tho I don't know anything about beer

I hope your brew will be ok

No You can get beersamic vinegar I have bout 7-8 gallons of it.

However I wouldn't worry too much, if it is close to FG I doubt a cup full of water is going to make much difference and the alcohol will give some protection. As long as a fruit fly hasn't got in. I would get it finished cleared and bottled, there isn't much you can do about it now.

If it does go off its not the end of the world, its only beer and the lifetime of ribbing with the young one will be worth it :lol: :lol:

I think some people use vodka in the airlock for this reason. Better that the 3yr old didn't drink that, mind!

I use Starsan dilution.

Hopefully the alcohol in there will sort things out.

Cheers guys. I spotted a fruit fly in the airlock (well, could be a fruitfly, it was a small little thing) but this didn't make it into the FV.

Fingers crossed.

I'm off to corfu on Friday, will I be OK to leave the beer for two weeks if its not finished fermentation?

It'll be fine, now go & find her and gently & calmly explain it's all OK but not to do it again. Godfrey is right about beer at FG, you have 3 things going for you, the pH of the beer is around 4 (Starsan works at 3), alcohol is now making life difficult for bacteria and the antimicrobial properties of hops are chipping in. If you had boiled water or sanitiser in the airlock that won't introduce much and depending on how long the lid was off little chance of much else. Remember brewers used and still use open fermentors and did so for 100's of years. Now, off you go! ;)

crE said:
Cheers guys. I spotted a fruit fly in the airlock (well, could be a fruitfly, it was a small little thing) but this didn't make it into the FV.

Fingers crossed.

I'm off to corfu on Friday, will I be OK to leave the beer for two weeks if its not finished fermentation?

Shouldn't be a problem, can you keep temps stable? Good job the fruit fly didn't make it in though.

orlando said:
crE said:

Fingers crossed.

Shouldn't be a problem, can you keep temps stable? Good job the fruit fly didn't make it in though.

I plan to have my brewfridge ready by then! So fingers crossed yes.

Is there any issue with having two FVs in one fridge? I understand that both brews will be slightly different temps, but if I left the temp sensor in the ambient air of the fridge there wouldn't be much fluctuations? I don't mind if one brew is at 18'c and another at 19'c

he he heee.....don't ya just love em !

Years ago mine blocked the toilet up when he sent Action Man on a combat mission round the U bend... :doh:

I did that to my grandads wine when I was young as well I'm sad to say...

You should be ok man.

I caught my 2 year old standing in my fv the other week, fortunately it was while I was sterilising it and not while there was a brew in there :doh: :rofl:

It'll be fine. Beer has been brewed for thousands of years without laboratory cleanliness!

Sanitation is obviously very sensible as it drastically lowers the chance of infection but you would still need to be very unlucky to spoil your brew.

You hear everywhere that sanitation is of utmost importance. Then when someone thinks theyve spoilt their brew... "Ahh don't worry, it'll be fine!" :lol:

Hey guys,

Can some one explain to me what beersamic vinegar means? And how to tell or get an idea if its happened?

robbie1710 said:
Hey guys,

Can some one explain to me what beersamic vinegar means? And how to tell or get an idea if its happened?

If its what i think it is, you will taste it simply because it tastes like vinegar. I got it to some degree in both my lagers. Then i gave the lager/pilsner the middle finger, and joined the dark side...

crE said:
You hear everywhere that sanitation is of utmost importance. Then when someone thinks theyve spoilt their brew... "Ahh don't worry, it'll be fine!" :lol:

it was lack of hygiene caused the bubonic plaigue to kill millions

there are still a few cases every year, even now, but usually not fatal

as sanitation has improved it will never be an epidemic again :thumb:

godfrey said:
crE said:

it was lack of hygiene caused the bubonic plaigue to kill millions

there are still a few cases every year, even now, but usually not fatal

as sanitation has improved it will never be an epidemic again :thumb:
Bubonic Plague? Ahh don't worry, it'll be fine! :lol:

LeithR said:
I found a nice heavy weight with a short chain around their ankles works a treat restricting their mobility ;) ;)
Funnyest thing I read all week lol

Back