My "Beer Kit" how to.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
Like my Cider "How-to" this is going to be a very straight forward guide on how I brew a beer kit. I've had many attempts at brewing beer and while they started off as massive failures I'm now at a point where I feel I'm getting the best I can out of them.

Firstly this guide is only recommended for single can kits as, with most single can kits, there isn't really enough LME to go around. The contents and estimates are generally a little bit ambitious for my liking, but rather than brew a batch short I tend to add more of the primary ingredient in order to brew to the full volume. With twin can kits I would recommend just following the instructions.

So, for this little guide I'm using a Coopers European Lager kit. The kit has a can with 1.7L of LME. As with all kits there is a small sachet of yeast, with this particular kit I believe it's a lager yeast so fermenting temps are optional here.

So... to make it exactly like I do this is the ingredients required, feel free to chop and change as you wish but I would recommend at least trying this out for yourself, it does make a difference. Obviously the kit can be whichever you choose.

Coopers European Lager Kit
500g Light DME
20g of Saaz hops (I've had good results with cascade as well, up to you what you use depending on what kit you are brewing.)
20L of bottled water (Does away with any chlorine etc you have in your tap water. 17p per 2L means £1.70 for the water. Not really a deal breaker).
1kg Brewing sugar (We are aiming for a cleaner flavour and dextrose will help us achieve this.).

Don't worry about the amount of fermentables used here. As I said previously the kits have a fair whack less than is required to make 23L properly, the extra fermentables just bulk this out, give more flavour and up the strenth to a regular level (generally around 5%). Most coopers kits generally end up around the 4% mark when brewing to the instructions. If you want 4% I would simply use a beer enhancer kit with 50% dme and 50% brewing sugar rather than the extra DME and brewing sugar I have mentioned.

Equipment:

2 Buckets (One primary/bottling bucket, one secondary)
Syphoning equipment
Stirring Paddle/Spoon
Steriliser
Large Pot
Hydrometer
Thermometer (I use LCD strips on every FV I have)
Bottles/Cap/Capper
Airlock/Bung
Seive/strainer or muslin bag
Can Opener
Fridge
Fermenting fridge (Optional for lagering)

Instructions:

If you can have 10L of water in the fridge. This will help to bring the temps in when mixing.
Thoroughly clean/sterilise everything that's going to come into contact with your brew post boil. During boil doesn't need sterilised, just cleaned.
Boil 6L of the bottled water in a large pot, capacity of at least 10L
Add the sugar to the boiling water and stir to dissolve.
Open the can and empty the contents.
Pour some boiling water into the can to rinse as much of the contents out as you can into the mix (I just boil a half cup of water in the kettle to add)
Bring back to the boil while stirring everything in then add 10g of hops.
Allow it all to boil for 45 minutes and then add another 5g of hops.
Allow it all to boil for 15 minutes, turn off the heat and add the last 5g of hops.
While the wort cools a little add a couple of bottles of cold water into the clean/sterile FV.
Pour the wort in on top using a sieve/strainer or muslin bag to catch the hops (this can get messy so try to take care).
Dispose of the hops and ditch the sieve/strainer/muslin.
Top up with the rest of the water up to the 23L mark.
Hopefully your temp should be good for pitching (lower mid 20s) but if it's not give it time to stabilise.
Once the temps are stable it's time to take a reading. You should see approx 1.045 if following this guide to the letter, temp will obviously have an impact.
Pitch the yeast, seal and store at approx 20-22 degrees for 14 days.
*note the above assumes you don't have the capability of lagering, if you do then lower the temp over 24 hours and ferment at 12 degrees for 3 weeks.
After 12 days (3 weeks if lagering) check the FG. You should be seeing under 1.010, anything between 1.004 and 1.008 I would consider ideal (be sure to take temps into consideration).
*If lagering increase the temperature by 5 degrees every 12 hours till sitting at room temp.
Move the FV to it's racking position, so that you are not disturbing anything when it comes to transferring to secondary.
Check again over the next 2 days to make sure the gravity is stable, if it is you are good to go.

Secondary:

Sterilise secondary vessel along with all syphoning equipment.
Transfer the contents into a clean/sterile secondary vessel being careful not to suck up too much of the dead yeast on the bottom.
Re-seal for another 7-10 days to make sure yeast has done all it's cleaning up. The brew will start to clear.
*If lagering add 50g of sugar (any will do) and then begin the lagering process, starting at room temp drop the temperature 5 degrees every 12 hours until sitting as close to zero as possible. Leave for 4 weeks (or as long as possible) and then increase the temp by 5 degrees every 12 hours until at room temp.

Bottling:

Move secondary to racking location 2 days prior to bottling (to re-settle the contents)
Sterilise bottles, bottling bucket (I re-use the primary FV) and syphoning equipment.
Add 150g of sugar to a cup and pour boiling water in to dissolve it. Mix thoroughly.
Pour the sugar mix into the bottling bucket and syphon the contents of the secondary on top.
Give a good mix with a spoon/paddle, again being careful not to splash.
Rack contents into bottles and cap.
Store the bottles at approx 20 degrees (room temp) for 14 days.
Move the bottles to as cool an area as possible, the closer to zero the better, for a further 14 days (minimum).
Refrigerate and enjoy!

Brewing exactly as above will have this kit, IMO, at it's best. It will be approx 5-5.5%, so ideal for a euro lager. You can easily customise the strength that you require by holding back, or increasing, the brewing sugar. I would recommend leaving the DME content as it is, as the body and flavour depend on it. I haven't had a go at lagering one of these kits yet but this is what I plan to do next.

Anyway, guide can be used with any single can beer kit. As with the cider the above is my current method for brewing all beer kits. If I make any changes I'll be sure to update.

Hi Scott,

great guide. I am starting to modify kits, so this is really useful information. Thanks for writing it up :thumb:

One question, I read that you get less flavour out of the hops if the specific gravity of the boil is higher. On these grounds, it was suggested to leave the additional sugar/DME out of the wort until after the hops are boiled. Have you tried this?

All the best,

Ian

iancraig said:
Hi Scott,

great guide. I am starting to modify kits, so this is really useful information. Thanks for writing it up :thumb:

One question, I read that you get less flavour out of the hops if the specific gravity of the boil is higher. On these grounds, it was suggested to leave the additional sugar/DME out of the wort until after the hops are boiled. Have you tried this?

All the best,

Ian

No, never tried that or read that. Would be good to get some insight as to the reasons for this.

In my mind the sugars would soak up the flavour and hold the flavour longer, so I'm surprised to hear information to the contrary.

Cheers :thumb:

Hi Scott

Thanks for this clear description.

I notice you do not add any finings. Do you find your lager clears nicely without using them ?

paultr said:
Hi Scott

Thanks for this clear description.

I notice you do not add any finings. Do you find your lager clears nicely without using them ?

Not had a cloudy one yet :D

I don't use finings with anything other than wine, and even then I'm finding I use them less and less (as I leave them to mature for a long time). In my experience the reason for cloudy beer is not leaving it long enough before bottling. Even after all the sugar has been turned to alcohol (no bubbles, FG steady, etc) the yeast are still working hard trying to find something to munch on, this leads them to cleaning up the mess that they made (all the little cloudy solids). Leaving them to this for long enough, between the extended primary time and additional secondary time, tends to clear the beer naturally and leave you with a very clean pint.

The only time I can see finings being needed is when speed is of the essence. If you simply can't wait I would rack into a secondary, pop in the finings and leave for 48 hours. That would be the quickest way to clean a beer, but I would always go with time preferably.

Thanks Scott :thumb:

It is my first attempt at home brew lager and the primary motivation for making my own was to save money so to have nature doing the work for free is good news :)

I have another question for you and would value your thoughts but rather than post it here and take your thread off topic I have put it on a thread which I started about my Coopers kit problem. If you have a chance could you have a look please ? It is about syphoning off a gallon and adding extra sugar viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34682&p=332682#p332682

i have a problem with my euro lager, made to to 20l etc the normal way, then put it outside in the garage where i expected the temperature to be around 14c, but it turns out its about 10c. i put it there 4 days ago and im still yet to get the krausen ring. just took a hydrometer reading and its still at 1.040 which is where it started. Help?

buzzharvey22 said:
i have a problem with my euro lager, made to to 20l etc the normal way, then put it outside in the garage where i expected the temperature to be around 14c, but it turns out its about 10c. i put it there 4 days ago and im still yet to get the krausen ring. just took a hydrometer reading and its still at 1.040 which is where it started. Help?

Don't worry about it too much, it'll come to life when the temperature rises again. Try and store it somewhere around 15 degrees if you can :)

Back