My brewing memoires thread - Ale Kit brewing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunday 22nd April....

Came down this morning to a few surprises....

Apple cider is definitely starting to clear - getting a bubble probably every 2 minutes
Ginger beer has slowed down but still bubbling away nicely at 1-2 bubbles a second
Toffee Apple Cider still consistently at 1 bubble a second...

Big surprise though is the apple and pear experiment - that has gone ballistic!!! Loads of bubbles coming up through the liquid, VERY cloudy, masses of movement and 2-3 bubbles a second!!!

Going to leave the apple until I can see my fingers through the liquid before racking into the secondary - seems a fairly good rule of thumb :thumb:

OK, so not strictly in the right place but brewing none the less...

With all 4 Demijohns on the bubble, decided to look into something I could brew in the short term. Obvious answer - Ale :thumb:

Just been home for lunch to have a nice, big box waiting for me containing a 25l fermenting bin, a syphon, hydrometer, thermometer, dextrose sugar, sanitising powder, an airlock and a 23l Midland Mild Ale brew pack.

So, filled the bucket with a solution from the sanitising powder and put the thermostat, hydrometer and airlock in as well....

Once I get home, I can thoroughly rinse everything off and get some ale on the go :thumb:

Well, that's the ale on to brew...

Really easy to follow and just had the first bubble through the air lock.

Stinks in there now though - the pear and apple is still bubbling away but the smell is foul!

The other 2 new ones still smell good though :thumb:

Thought I had better add, the ale has started at 1.040 using dextrose for the sugar content...

Bubbling away nicely this morning :thumb:

Well, it has been a VERY long time since I updated this. Had all the right motives but starting a family got in the way.

While I was away from you guys, I started experimenting. I discovered the "Hippy Juice" recipes which have become the preferred drink of SWMBO. We NEVER actually buy shop wine any more :) Got to be a result. Her personal favourite is the Bleberry and Apple using white grape juice that I do. Never lasts long that one :lol:

Also decided to play with cider. Now as a member of a car club, it has become quite a challenge each year regarding chilli and "how hot can you take it" Most people bring the usual. Marinated chicken, burgers, hot sauce so I decided I would try something different.....

Enter the Ghost Chilli Turbo Cider :thumb: I have posted the recipe for you guys here viewtopic.php?f=41&t=47846

This drink is epic!!! Really good, fruity cider with a certain kick to warm everything afterwards. Need to get another batch of this on and maturing soon ready for the summer car show season :)

So, I have got back into it properly now. I have 3 Demijohns on the go at the moment. A Blueberry and Apple (a special request from my sister), A Cranberry, Raspberry and Elderflower wine and a standard Elderflower wine from a Wilko kit as an experiment. There are so many Elderflower trees here, if this is good, it means I have a massive natural source of Elderflowers to make my oiwn from scratch next year :)

I also have a St Peter's Golden Ale which I started yesterday which is bubbling away nicely and I think I need to go and get a Cooper's Mexican Cerveza kit today for the better half. She is a massive fan on Mexican lager and would like to join me for a beer once my ale is completed in the evenings. Also need to buy the goodies for the Chilli cider to get that maturing.

So, from a complete stop I am back and with a vengeance. Plenty brewing and a few ideas in my head for some new ones :cheers:

Latest posts

Back