My First brew day

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

singlespeedsteve

Reaction score
I finally got my kit together and made my first batch of beer last night.
It was a 2 can extract kit of woodfordes wherry with an additional dry hopping of challenger
I spent most of the time unpacking, cleaning and sterilising kit but it was all done.

Ended up with an OG of 1040 and added a tea bag style of challenger hops from better brew, 12g in the bag, before adding the yeast.

The only issue I think I had was moving the FV into it's resting place once it was all put together, had some water pulled in from the airlock before i took it out and then moved it.

I'll have to see if any other issues occur when we move from the FV to barrel and then on to the final beer.

I hope it goes ok

he hee....remove your air lock temporarily when carrying the plastic vessels, they bend, and suck and blow air in !

I usually mix the hot water and malt in my kitchen and then more the fermenter to where i want it to live for two weeks before topping it up with cold water and fitting the airlock, im always paranoid that ill drop 23l of wort everywhere if i carry it full

piddledribble said:
he hee....remove your air lock temporarily when carrying the plastic vessels, they bend, and and blow air in !

Yep, found that one out.

mmaguy41 said:
I usually mix the hot water and malt in my kitchen and then more the fermenter to where i want it to live for two weeks before topping it up with cold water and fitting the airlock, im always paranoid that ill drop 23l of wort everywhere if i carry it full

Good idea, I'll have to find somewhere that's not the opposite end of my house for fermenting

As long as it was fresh water in the airlock you'd have to be really unlucky to have it upset your brew :)

If you do that again, lift slowly, it allows the air to flow past the U bend and into the FV without sucking any water with it ;) :D

Good choice of first brew, I made a couple before going AG, they do 'like' to be left in the barrle to mature for a good few weeks though, don't try and rush it by drinking after only a week or two in the presssure barrel.

Well I've had my kit in the FV for 2 weeks now and just tested the SG.
It's gone from 1040 to 1016 so far and I'll check it again on Christmas eve to see where I am then.
I also tasted the sample taken and it tastes good. Can't wait for the final product now
I think I'm going to bottle some up and put some in a barrel so I can keep some in store

In the meantime found a small local brewery that's started up and got some, 9 pints in a mini mini pin, of a delicious best bitter to sample of the next few days.

I've found a home brew shop near my parents so will be stopping off over Christmas to see what bottles they have

Latest posts

Back