My first Turbo Cider - A little how to.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So is the TC still good if you don't manage to get the malolatic fermentation?

As a newbie, I don't want to go in over my head with the old rosie cultivation method.

hoofy said:
So is the TC still good if you don't manage to get the malolatic fermentation?

As a newbie, I don't want to go in over my head with the old rosie cultivation method.

Yeah don't worry about it, malolactic fermentation can give butterscotch and even wine like flavours so you might not like it if it happens. As long as you give it a decent amount of time to mature, say 3+ months it should be nice :smile:

theboytony said:
Yeah don't worry about it, malolactic fermentation can give butterscotch and even wine like flavours so you might not like it if it happens. As long as you give it a decent amount of time to mature, say 3+ months it should be nice :smile:
I'll probably end up with it occuring naturally then, and me not liking it. :D

No Malolactic fermentation gives the farmyard twang that is associated with scrumpy. The reason for farmyard smells is that it is the same bacteria and process that gets to work on silage and other stuff lying around a farmyard. :whistle: :whistle:

We already have enough 'farmyard twangs' round my house, so it probably won't be missed. :grin:

ETA. So assuming you're not bothered about getting a malolactic fermentation, would you still need to add the malic acid to the recipe?

It would be low in acid and as a result would not be as flavoursome. if you want a more of a 'commecial cider' taste then leave it out.

I think I'll add it then if my LHBS has it in stock.

Thanks.

hoofy said:
I think I'll add it then if my LHBS has it in stock.

Thanks.
It really depends on the Ph of the juice, last time I checked some apple juice (sainsburys cheapo) it was in the optimum range so wouldn't have needed it. From the TC I have made I've not had one that tastes like commercial cider (strongbow, magners, etc) but then I like it dry so never backsweeten.

I put my first TC on this morning using 4L apple juice and .5L cranberry juice.

I added the malic acid and I also splashed out on some cider yeast from my LHBS. :thumb:

Have you added any tannin as this is really important, without it it will lack bite and has a tendency to be insipid. :thumb:

Half tsp tannin.
Tsp pectolase.
Tsp nutrient.
Tsp malic acid.
2.5g cider yeast.

I am not sure if I left mine too long in the primary stage, the bubbles in the airlock were one every 20 seconds so I left it another day and it stop completely, no bubbles rising to the top at all.

I have just bottled it with some priming sugar in each bottle and put it in the warm to see what happens.

MartinC said:
I am not sure if I left mine too long in the primary stage, the bubbles in the airlock were one every 20 seconds so I left it another day and it stop completely, no bubbles rising to the top at all.

I have just bottled it with some priming sugar in each bottle and put it in the warm to see what happens.

Nothing to worry about, that's exactly what you want to do. Often we will transfer into a secondary for months on end with no ill effects, quite the opposite in fact :)

Hope it turns out well for you :D

Hi,
How many teabags to water should I use for a T.C. to use instead of the tannin? and can I use tomato paste(puree) for a nutrient? Did I read that right? :wha:

I'm just experimenting here, so don't want to shell out for gear I may not use again...

Cheers,

Stephen

adrianmole72 said:
Hi,
How many teabags to water should I use for a T.C. to use instead of the tannin? and can I use tomato paste(puree) for a nutrient? Did I read that right? :wha:

I'm just experimenting here, so don't want to shell out for gear I may not use again...

Cheers,

Stephen

2 teabags steeped in a mug of tea should do the trick nicely. Give it a good 20 minutes to half an hour to steep.

Tomato paste is fine as a nutrient. 1tsp. The yeast will gobble it all up so nothing will be left :)

I made four x 4.5L variations of TC last autumn two of which showed plenty of signs of MF. I transferred these 2 into my "tap a draft" bottles and primed with sugar, I also added some Ritchies Wine Sweetener as they were very dry.
Yesterday I attached the serving dispenser to one of them and tried a sample ,the colour was very pale , similar to Diamond White colour , the taste was ok , but then again I'm not a cider drinker . I could do with an expert to give me their opinion of it.

Back