My New Website

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just started my own website and have had some traffic to date. I've got all sorts of stuff available and it might even give insight to many.
https://crescentcitybrewtalk.com/I started brewing 30 years ago with Dave Line's "Big Book of Brewing" and have always had a warm spot in my heart for British Ales. Check it out and let me know what you think.

I just started my own website and have had some traffic to date. I've got all sorts of stuff available and it might even give insight to many.
https://crescentcitybrewtalk.com/I started brewing 30 years ago with Dave Line's "Big Book of Brewing" and have always had a warm spot in my heart for British Ales. Check it out and let me know what you think.
That looks pretty interesting and very factual just glimpsing over and have added to my home screen for future reference.Excellent stuff and congratulations on getting it up and running Mike.

Excellent stuff. My only criticism is the recipes, could have been submitted in both imperial and metric.

Brilliant.
My home brew club are having a low ABV bottle swap at easter.
I'm going to study your session beer recipes.

Easily converted..
90+percent of the world works on the metric system, a website is universal, to attract the most users surely both systems should be in play to make it more compatible. Mike asked for feedback I have given it. The worst system is the Pommy one, I have often read on here, (as an example) 6mm dia x 18 inches long FFS

Browsing through the recipes, loving the guiness fried chicken wings.

Don't worry about the metric, I have plenty of American brew books where the recipes are in imperial meaurements.
Google quickly converts from Imp to metric.

My one suggestion would be more pics.

I saw your Brewery page. I had the pleasure to visit New Orleans and saw the old 'Jax' brewery. Lovely building. Shame its a shopping mall now

90+percent of the world works on the metric system, a website is universal, to attract the most users surely both systems should be in play to make it more compatible. Mike asked for feedback I have given it. The worst system is the Pommy one, I have often read on here, (as an example) 6mm dia x 18 inches long FFS
I'm sure he'll take it on board or maybe link to a calculator..

Speaking as someone who has had their own website, the easier to use the better. You want as many people as possible utilising the site. The bigger the following the bigger the worth.

Oh and while we're talking percentages - I haven't looked but I assume the website is in English. And the majority of the English speaking world are perfectly happy with Imperial units, even American imperial measures. Can't say I've ever looked on a Chinese homebrew website to see how they make beer over there but if I did I would expect it to be in Chinese and whatever units of measurement they use in China.

Excellent stuff. My only criticism is the recipes, could have been submitted in both imperial and metric.
Most of the recipes I've listed are from my brew club's newsletter. There are only a few of mine there. Fair is fair . . . when I have to deal with metric measurements, I have to convent them to what I can use.

Does anyone use both metric and imperial for various things?
I'll weigh my brewing malt out in grammes and kilos and the water in litres but drink in pints..
When I'm fishing the fish are lbs and oz.

Does anyone use both metric and imperial for various things?
I'll weigh my brewing malt out in grammes and kilos and the water in litres but drink in pints..
When I'm fishing the fish are lbs and oz.
You have the advantage of being born around the crossover era much like myself...

It's a strange one... thinking about it we're using mixed all the time...in work we use lots of cardboard cores to wind up the product we make...they're measured metrically in length but imperial by width! So I ask the stores for 1385mm/6" cores...or whatever combination we need...that was the same in the other place I worked too...

It seems rather odd to me. In the States, we use English measure. In Britain, you use the metric system. Of course that isn't odd enough. Britain has Imperial Gallons and we have US Gallons. Imperial gallons seem a bit more logical as one Imperial gallon weighs exactly 10 pounds.

Interesting...and worth noting! If I should ever have a night out in America I should reset the drinking target to two gallons against the normal gallon and a half.

In Britain, you use the metric system.
Not exactly true, we only half changed to metric. We still use miles for distance, pints for beer in pubs and some milk deliveries, many farmers still use acres, and lots of people still use stones and pounds for weighing themselves. And everyone uses mile per gallon for fuel economy, not kilometers per litre, even though petrol is sold by the litre.
The metric system is very good for things scientific but not so good for human scale things where maths isn't going to be needed. As a woodworker I often use milimetres and centimetres for small things but would always switch to feet and inches for bigger things. And interestingly so would both my kids, in their twenties who only ever got taught metric at school.
In brewing I weigh grains in pounds and ounces but hops in grammes. Illogical? Maybe but our big kitchen scales are the sort you put weights on and we only have imperial weights, whereas our small scales measure in metric. Sure, I could get a set of metric weights as well but that would cost about forty quid for no benefit at all.
Oh yes, and I use a fifty year old dairy thermometer for setting mash temperatures and that's in fahrenheit.

Latest posts

Back