Returning to brewing after a 30 year hiatus

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin Kernick

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a new member. I used to brew, years ago, when I lived in NZ for a while. Always an all grain brewer, cut my teeth on Dave Line's Big Book of Brewing and Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy. Gave up when I returned to the UK. I've picked it up again now I'm retired and have the time. Wow, what a difference in equipment from the old days! So much more controllable. I have a Brewzilla Gen 4 35L and I brew in part for a friend who has a back garden shed-pub.

NZ didn't keep hold of you then?
LOL I went there with my wife with the agreement that, if, after two years, either of us wanted to come back to the UK, that's what we'd do. I would have stayed but she missed her family. My daughter lives in NZ now, so I'll have to content myself with visiting a lot. :)

When we were living there, there were only a few breweries brewing some completly uninspiring beers. For instance one had a number of beers Lion Lager, Lion Red and Lion Brown.... the same brew with varying amounts of brewers' caramel. :) Hombrewing was pretty much essential. Now the craft beer revolution has changed all that.

When we were living there, there were only a few breweries brewing some completly uninspiring beers. For instance one had a number of beers Lion Lager, Lion Red and Lion Brown.... the same brew with varying amounts of brewers' caramel. :) Hombrewing was pretty much essential. Now the craft beer revolution has changed all that.
Is this the same Lion that has just "acquired" Stone & Wood in Australia?

Latest posts

Back