Nøgne Ø - God Jul AG Kit brewday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
When i heard that my favorite Norwegian brewery were realesing a limited edition beer kit based on their brilliant "god jul", i just had to get one. I think 200 kits was made in their first run, but another 200 will be made in early January.
It's a 4L all grain kit, with grains and hops from their brewery, not some mysterious random ingredients.

The name is of course in Norwegian, and means "Nøgne Ø - Merry Christmas"

I brewed this one week ago, but i thought i would share some pictures with you guys...

So! Off we go!

This is what i got in the kit. To me this seemed like a "normal" amount of grains. I totally forgot that this beer is about 8ABV, and that higher ABV tends to mean more grains... This will come back to screw me later :lol:
thekit.png

My setup is... Minimalistic, to say the least, but it works. The method i use here is somewhat of a BIAB and Mesh Strainer hybrid, so the bag is really just to move the grains around more easily, without spilling wort everywhere. This is a 12 L pot, but don't worry; i will be upgrading to a 36L brewpot with a tap early next year!
thesystem.png

The smell from the mashing stage was amazing. Coffee, chocolate, caramels, vanilla and everything else i really enjoy in my pint was present. This recipe called for a 60 minute mash in the pot, but with the mashing out stage, it was about a 90 minute mash in total.
themash.png

This is where the grain amount kicked me in the ass.. The grain bag was about twice the size of what I'm used to working with, so it was bigger than my strainer, but i managed to get trough the sparging anyway. The only problem is: I use the grains as a filter, where i pour the wort trough the grains once or twice, to get the bigger particles out. This was impossible to do with this size, even tho i tried to split the amount in the bag. So this is a really-really-really unfiltered beer.
sparge.png

And this is the wort i ended up with. The color is not even close to the color i was expecting, but i will get back to that later...
This boiled for 60 minutes, with 4 hop additions. I will re-visit the thread to post what kind of hops were used in the beer. Cannot remember...
boil.png

This was the first time i used my brand new wort chiller, and i love it! I just used an ice bath before, but the chiller did the job way faster. Not cheap, but really worth the money (just a tip for the very few of you that don't have a chiller yet)
chiller.png

I got everything into my 5L glass carboy, and as you can see, i got allot of what i believe is called cold break. Most of this is from the lack of filtering in my sparging step. This wont be a problem when i get my new pot with the tap. I have encountered this problem before tho, where i forgot to filter it, and it was looking about the same as this. It probably altered the taste, but it was still good, and i didn't notice any off- flavors.
fermenting.png

As i mentioned earlier in my post, this is not the color i expected. The original "god jul" is black as a stout, while this looks like a dark brown ale. I don't know if i messed it up, but then again i haven't seen pictures of this kit made before. Maybe the kit isn't a direct copy of the real deal. Its darker now than on the picture, and the cold break thingies has settled with the sediments on the bottom. I will post some pictures, comparing it with the original beer from their brewery, so i will do the final judging now, maybe something magical will happen when i bottle age it...

I got a youtube video of it fermenting nicely, if someone is interested: http://youtu.be/_fo_9ECb0kE
And i want to know how i can build the video player into my forum post.. If anybody knows..?

I'm doing some bottling in not too long, and i will update you on that as well!
Cheers :cheers:

Looks brilliant.

Good luck on the upgrade.

Why don't you nip over for the Spring Thing- you might pick up some cheap kit as well as having a great time.

Cheers

RD

RokDok said:
Looks brilliant.
Why don't you nip over for the Spring Thing- you might pick up some cheap kit as well as having a great time.

Would love to, but its quite the trip for me. And cant afford it.. sadly :|

I wish more breweries did AG kits, great review, loved the pictures. Don't worry about the cold break, it will settle out in the FV. Looking forward to your tasting notes vs the commercial beer. T

God Jul and Julebryg and Carlsberg Christmas ale are all Great xmas beers, any clues as to the malt bill and hops for the God Jul? would be interested in a AG version of this :)

DrinkTillIDie said:
God Jul and Julebryg and Carlsberg Christmas ale are all Great xmas beers, any clues as to the malt bill and hops for the God Jul? would be interested in a AG version of this :)

Well, i know what malts go into this thing, but now how much of each type. Here is the list for you:
2700 g in total
  • Munich Light
    Melanoidin 40
    Pale Rye Malt
    Pilsen 2RP
    Biscuit/Aroma
    Crystal Rye
    Peated Malt
    Coffee Light
    Pale Chocolate Malt
    Special B

And for the hops:
  • 5 g columbus (start of boil)
    5g cascade (after 45 Min)
    6g bobek (after 55 min)
    4g columbus (when the boil is over)

Youre welcome :cheers:

And there we go, 5 nice 0,5 bottles. I gave the left overs a little taste, and i got surprised about how hoppy it turned out. But knowing the original "god jul" i will let these age for a while, and it will hopefully adjust the flavors to perfection!

A Taste test and more pictures of the finished pint will of course be posted, stay tuned :drink:
flasker.jpg

Latest posts

Back