Need help guys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all. A month ago I bottled a batch of Robinson's Old Tom ABV about 8.5%

This is second batch of this I have made in the last 2 years. The first batch turned out to be a great beer after 9 monthe maturing.

However I had a look at a bottle today and there appears to be white flecks floating in the beer even though there is a nice compaction in the bottom of the bottle. Having made 34 AG brews so far this is the first time I have seen this.

Do you think it is an infection? It is not present in all the bottles could it be unsettled yeast? Should I open a bottle to see if it has gone sour.

Have checked the brews I did after this one and they are all OK.

Thanks Richard G :drink:

Like Eddie says, open a bottle n try it, you'll soon know.

I made some IPA once which I noticed small colonies of mould on inside bottles, near bottom. Possibly due to poor bottle sanitisation? However I cracked them open and drank them with a friend. Tasted great and no ill effects.

Hopefully it will taste fine :cheers:

:cheers: Thanks guys will open a bottle and see how it goes.

What I forgot to mention was that I never checked my previous batch until it had been maturing for about 6 months so perhaps I've not given enough time for the rest of the yeast to settle.

Hmmm just tried it seems ok, smells ok, a little bitter but it needs a few months to condition.

Will come back on this later, gonna try one of the bottles without the specks in.

ps only tasted it then spit it out just in case :roll:

:cheers: Update on this post.

Checked another bottle today, defo mould growing inside that one near the top.

Have dumped it.

Just a thought. I batch primed this with black treacle, but just noticed that the tin appears to be leaking would you think this could be the cause of the infection, or has beer reacted with the treacle.

Going to wait another week but I thuink it will all have to be dumped. :drink:

ps the 2 brews made after this one appear to be OK :grin:

is there a recipe that uses black treacle to prime? i tried to prime once with muscovado sugar and the batch was bad, a link? dont know but i normally use bog standard white sugar as its only to aid co2 production on 2nd ferment and not any flavouring, unsure if priming with anything else will make a marked difference but am open to hints and tips if anyone has any

I dont think a leaky tin would be responsible for infection. You say you batch primed it so prsemuably you dissolved it in boiling water and so pasteurised it?

If the infection is present in some bottles then its probably a bottle sanitation issue. If its affecting all the bottles prob something that happened during brewing or priming.

Latest posts

Back