NEIPA oxidation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m amateur !!
My NeIpa
Citra addition at 60mins 30g,15mins 30g and 40g at flameout to make 57ibu
Then dry hopped for 5 days before bottling with
Mandarina Bavaria 100g and wai-Iti 300g, 20L bottled.
Smells wonderful, first taste is fruity and hoppy, but then really bitter ??
Ideas in causes

The reason it's bitter is because you've added 30g of citra at 60 mins. In addition to the 30 and 15 min addition I think you must be topping 70Ibu's which is in good west coast IPA range.

I suggest you enter your recipes into a free online calculator and aim for <20 IBU's when you next want to try and make a NEIPA style beer.

Beer warned. They are a difficult style to nail.

I’m amateur !!
My NeIpa
Ideas in causes

That's way too many hops in the boil for an NEIPA - most NEIPAs wouldn't have any hops before flameout to keep the IBUs down, as you can get quite a bit of perceived bitterness from big dry hop additions.

So water treatment, and hop additions ? I added the citra to bring an ibu to match the style ! But I’m guessing now that even dry hopping adds bitterness ??

I’m amateur !!
My NeIpa
Ideas in causes
Because you have 58ibus. No need for any hops during the boil.

So water treatment, and hop additions ? I added the citra to bring an ibu to match the style ! But I’m guessing now that even dry hopping adds bitterness ??
yeah, the normal IBU calculators don't seem to work so well with NEIPAs as the perceived bitterness can be very different from the calculated bitterness. I like to keep the calculated IBUs as low as possible in a NEIPA

As others have said above no mid boil hops just chuck all the Citra in at flame out or even steep/whirlpool at below 80. Then a two stage dry hop first at high krausen then as normal should get you closer to the mark, good luck.

I’ve found that a 330ml tin of Elvis juice mixed with my 500ml bottle of bitter Neipa is really drinkable :beer1:

This is my method to try and stop suckback when crashing and to try and eliminate as much O2 as possible. I only switch from my blowoff jar to the bladder when I get about a bubble every 30 secs
IMG_20190504_114616.jpg

Back