Nettle beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

didgeman

Reaction score
Just finished brewing my nettle beer. Always wanted to have a bash but know its done.

It smells pretty nice and I think it will be a refreshing drink - bit like alcoholic ginger beer I reckon.
Anybody interested here is how it is done.

Nettle beer recipe

5 gallons of water
3 bags of nettle tips (I just grab the first three leaf levels and wack it in the pot)
2 lemons, juiced
2 oranges, juiced
3kg sugar
100g cream of tartar
Yeast (Girvan 5 is good, but if I haven't any I just use bread yeast, beer yeast.
Large dandelion root, chopped OR
Large ginger root, chopped (optional)
Don't use both the dandelion and the ginger, use either or none!
Method
Boil the water -
Put the nettle tips in a large tub (at least 6 gallons), and pour the boiling water over them. Leave to infuse until cooled to around 35-36C (usually takes a few of hours).
Strain back into your boiler. Add the lemon and orange juice, the sugar and the cream of tartar. Heat gently and stir until the sugar has dissolved - do not boil - and then transfer into a brewing vat.
Leave to cool to about 20C (overnight is usually best), then pitch the yeast.
Cover the vat loosely with muslin and leave to stand in a warm place for about three days.
Carefully skim any scum off the surface, then rack the beer into beer bottles, taking care not to disturb the sediment. Leave to condition for a week or so, then serve cold.

If you want to do a nettle beer now is the best time as the nettles are at their best. The missus will love this!!

Great stuff :cool: I did a nettle wine last year and tried a bottle last week and its great - i`ll be doing a couple more gallons this year :thumb:

Warmest place in my house is my living room so I am sharing with 40 pts Nettle beer and 40 pts of Wherry. Kinda yeasty smell in here!!

FV : 40 pts Wherry
FV : 40 pints Nettle beer
DJ,s :36 pints of Turbo.
Brewed, kegged … and drunken 40 pts of Wherry (Schoolboy error letting my mates visit me when home brew is in the house.)
Riduculous amounts country wines but no longer room to do it.
Honey wine, Rosehip wine,Damson wine, Apple wine
Ginger and orange wine, mixed berry wine.

Latest posts

Back