New Brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbud78

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey guys, just about to take the plunge on some gear and a kit for my very first brew. I want to move onto extract brewing fairly quickly I think but want to do a couple of the young's kits first to nail the fermentation first.

Plan on brewing in the 30ltr then transferring to the 25ltr for bottling, using the large auto syphon for both.

I dont want to buy things that I wont use later on so maybe spending a bit more than I need too but can you guys see anything I'm missing before I hit the buy button ?

Plan on bottling but I'm collecting and waiting on a friend who has a load of bottles so I've not listed as I don't know if I'll get them and if there glass or plastic.

Many thanks
Jim

Amercian Beers - IPA Beer Kit
Better Brew 30 Ltr Fermenting Bin / Bucket With Lid Grommet
25 ltr Fermenting Bin & Lid
Long plastic spoon
Nylon Bottle Brush
VWP steriliser 400g
Five Star Star San HB â„¢ 473ml ( No Rinse Steriliser )
Plastic Hydrometer Jar
Stevenson Wine / Beer Hydrometer
Super Major Airlock
Basic Spirit thermometer
Auto Syphon Large Home Brew Wine & Beer Pump & Clip Bottler Wand
Bottle Rinser / Cleaner Steriliser Washer Home Brew Beer Lager Wine Bottles

Agreed, when I used a bottling wand with a syphon I kept getting air pockets in the syphon and it was a right pita getting it going again. With the wand on a tap it's so much easier.

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, where I'm ordering from don't do the buckets with the tap attached so I'll drill it.

Have already ordered an stc 1000 to convert my old fridge, temps in the house varies a lot.

It might just be me but I found plastic spoons/paddles to be a complete pain, they bend like hell and are obviously susceptible to scratching. Personally, I'd pay the extra for stainless steel. Also, I found plastic trial jars hard to read through so recently bought a glass one and it's much easier. These are both minor things but if you're starting out it could save you buying twice.

Finally, I wouldn't bother with a bottle brush, I have one but stopped using it after a couple of weeks as it isn't necessary if you clean your bottles when you empty them.

Finally, I wouldn't bother with a bottle brush, I have one but stopped using it after a couple of weeks as it isn't necessary if you clean your bottles when you empty them.

A kinked or bent bottle brush is handy to clean the krausen or tide line from under the shoulder of DJs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

argh, been reading the forum and wondering now weather I should just go straight to extract or even BIAB xD

Tempted to get some demijohns and do some small BIAB's, this I wise idea or should I stick with the plan and do a couple of kits first ?

I wouldn't bother with 25 liter bucket, I would get 2 x 30 liters, ferment for a week in one, rack to secondary, in the second 30liter, use the first as a bottling bucket. That way you can always get more 30 liters later and always have the possibility to rack to secondary, in your spare bucket.

Hopefully doing this at the weekend, quick question !

I was going to put a tap in the FV for getting samples to check OG, how high off the bottom should I put it ? I was going to put it in about 100mm, then on my bottling bucket I was going to put the tap as low as possible.

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Jim

You want the tap as low as you can get it without it touching the floor on the outside.

For the bottling bucket you want it as low as you can but storing is a pain unless you remove the tap each time.

quick question about sanitising, should I fill up the FV to the brim when sanitising and leave it for a while or is it ok to just put the lid on and shaking it about for a couple of mins ?

quick question about sanitising, should I fill up the FV to the brim when sanitising and leave it for a while or is it ok to just put the lid on and shaking it about for a couple of mins ?
What I do
Wash it out with mains water.
Get some kitchen roll and wipe it round.
Wash it again.
Pour off-the-boil water all the way round.
Tip the water away.
Give it a spray with Starsan.
Leave it for a few minutes.
Wash it out in cold water again.
Ready for action.

When I've finished with it after fermentation etc it gets a more or less repeat performance, is allowed to drain, then fully air dried before storage. Don't store it wet, and certainly make sure it's clean.

PS And for every brewer you will find they do something different!

Last edited:
Thought I'd post a quick photo of my fridge, nothing happened for the first 24 hours really but its got a bulging lid and the bottle full of sanatiser is glugging well. Its not gone through the pipe yet :mrgreen:
2016-12-16%2021.57.23.jpg

Bottled this today, argghh I hate bottling xD Already looking at kegs !

Auto syphon didnt want to play ball, found it didnt want to work ! Not sure if the seal in the plunger is big enough, Will play with it another day to test.

Bottle wand kept coming off tap.

In my wisdom I put the tap too high on my bottling bucket so it cleared on the floor, in hind sight on a bottling bucket as low as possible is best xD Also could have done with a 3rd big bucket just to keep the starsan so I'll be picking one of them up !

2017-01-15 15.30.29.jpg

2017-01-15 15.30.37.jpg

2017-01-15 19.57.53.jpg

All my bottles in the fridge at 20 degrees and enough room for two demi johns, quick 10L BIAB this week :D

Hi!
Shaking a small amount of StarSan in a sealed FV works fine - it sanitises in only 30 seconds. Pour out, retain for future use and, of course, don't fear the foam.
For diluting the StarSan, I use Tesco Ashbeck water - don't use tap water.

Hi!
Shaking a small amount of StarSan in a sealed FV works fine - it sanitises in only 30 seconds. Pour out, retain for future use and, of course, don't fear the foam.
For diluting the StarSan, I use Tesco Ashbeck water - don't use tap water.

When you say "don't fear the foam" is it safe to get in your brew or will it cause any problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After two weeks its carbonated, its drinkable but there's defiantly a taste :( Hopefully it'll mellow out with two weeks conditioning in the cold. Maybe i'm spoilt with all the great beers I drink xD

I'm a little disappointed but not deterred, really want to make a go of the AG and hope to make some wonderful beer one day

2017-01-27 19.51.32.jpg

Latest posts

Back