Newb to wine - suggestions welcome

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markm1878

Reaction score
Hi, I'm an all grain brewer but not had time to brew much beer recently so I'm looking at making a wine. Ideally something that's at it's best around xmas.

I had a few questions,

Firstly, Is it ok to use beer equipment (plastic Fv's, syphons, spoons etc) with wine, and then use again with beer? I read somewhere that certain acids/bacterias are very difficult to remove.

If it can be done with the same, how long can it be left after racking in a plastic bucket (under airlock)? Does bulk aging help, or is that only when in glass (like lagering a beer)? As I rarely drink wine, I will need a while to accumulate bottles. If I can leave it in the FV for 3 months, that would be handy!

And finally, regarding kit suggestions, I've read good things about beaverdale kits. Are they the best kind? I don't mind spending a few quid extra if it makes a better wine.

Oh and regarding types of wine... I don't care. Maybe something white, but i'm not fussed.

Thanks in advance
Mark

I had a few questions,

Firstly, Is it ok to use beer equipment (plastic Fv's, syphons, spoons etc) with wine, and then use again with beer? I read somewhere that certain acids/bacterias are very difficult to remove.
I have never read/heard of this being a problem but as i only make wine i would not have come across it before.

If it can be done with the same, how long can it be left after racking in a plastic bucket (under airlock)? Does bulk aging help, or is that only when in glass (like lagering a beer)? As I rarely drink wine, I will need a while to accumulate bottles. If I can leave it in the FV for 3 months, that would be handy!
I use plastic 1.5 litre spring water bottles to store my wine but don't age it for long, you could buy 5 litre spring water bottles and use them for bulk ageing, if you stabilise and degas in the FV before racking to the smaller 5 litre bottles air locks wont be required.

And finally, regarding kit suggestions, I've read good things about beaverdale kits. Are they the best kind? I don't mind spending a few quid extra if it makes a better wine.
I like the WineBuddy Sav Blank kits they are at the cheaper end but are popular with members, have a look at the kit review A - Z http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=38

Oh and regarding types of wine... I don't care. Maybe something white, but i'm not fussed.
Have a look at this - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=49462

Back