Newbie help needed - strange appearance during fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmagoo

Reaction score
Hello all,
Hope someone can help. Completely new to this, although I did give it a go about 25 years ago during my student days!
Got a ibrew kit for Xmas and followed all instructions, sanitised and rinsed everything and started my first brew of stout on Saturday. Went away for a few days and came home today (Wednesday) and had a look. Found some strange floating matter on the surface, which looks like it is yeast based. The brew smells fine I think, yeasty and stouty, but it doesn't look right.
If anyone with more experience experience can take a look and advise me I'd be very grateful. There is a possibility that while we were away the room temperature dropped to about 16°c.
Many thanks
I

IMG_20151230_211511.jpg

Hello mate. Looks ok to me. When fermentation occurs you get a mass of frothy yeast on top and this mostly sinks to the bottom as fermentation progresses. Sometimes some of it will float. I personally think it is fine. If it smells ok then I think you are safe.

Yes it's yeast. It flocculates (clumps together) and sinks. But if you've got co2 being produced, which you will have, it can dislodge the clumps and up they pop. Nothing to worry about I'd say.

Edit: try and keep your temps more consistent if you can, a good consistent temp is one of the most important factors in producing good beer.

Thanks so much for your speedy responses. Very reassuring that there's people out there to help. The internet wasn't around 25 years ago when I last tried, hopefully with some help on here I can make a good go of it this time.
I've wrapped it in a blanket now to try and help with some temperature consistency and will keep a close eye over the next few days.

Thanks so much for your speedy responses. Very reassuring that there's people out there to help. The internet wasn't around 25 years ago when I last tried, hopefully with some help on here I can make a good go of it this time.
I've wrapped it in a blanket now to try and help with some temperature consistency and will keep a close eye over the next few days.

Sounds like my story. I first brewed about 20 years ago. Had a few successes and more bad misses. Fair to say if the Internet had been around then I'd have had far more of the successes and by now be some sort of black belt at it.

The exploding bottles and vinegar like bad brews put me off though, and I only took it up again 18 months ago, so I'm still a novice, but with the aid of the nice folk on here I've churned out beers I'm proud to put my name to.

Thanks for the advice Japan Brew. It seems the kit comes with some strange instructions. It mentions putting the lid on the bin loosely which I thought was odd! I'm going to try to resist the temptation to open too often now. I've also realised through this site that the suck method of siphoning is a no no. Again I thought it a bit strange to go through all the sanitisation just to leave a mouthful of germs on the tube!
5 days into my home brewing experience I feel I'm now in a position to offer my first piece of advice to other newcomers - don't leave your fermenting bin in front of your 18 month olds favourite toy train drawer, it could get very messy!! Hopefully I've just about got away with it, he somehow managed to manoeuvre the bin out the way without pulling it over!

Look online for one of those auto syphon. They work well and are cheap. But for your first couple brews, you should get those fermenting buckets that has a spikit on it. When bottling it's a ton easier.
As for loose lid, it's a burb type setup. As long as you don't play with it, the co2 will push the lid up a tad releasing the gas. The weight of the lid will stop air getting in.
Ideally 10 days fermenting should be fine. Which means, be patient, don't touch and take a reading on day 5 or 6.
For bottling, pick up those sugar drops. Coopers and Muntons (is that the spelling??) make them. For first timers, it's a ton easier and takes a few steps out of the equation.

Latest posts

Back