Newbie Single Vessel DIY BIAB project - advice/guidance needed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MorrisBrau

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum so for my first post I am just going to go for it!!

I am in the process of gathering the equipment I need for a DIY single vessel BIAB project and I'm looking for guidance and also any suggestions you may have.

1) I just purchased a 30L Cygnet hot water urn. I need to change the tap on it. Is it ok to use a brass fitting for the bulkhead attachment?

2) I have seen a false bottom on some of the youtube videos I have looked at. Its a shallow s/steel dome with lots of small holes in it and a hole for a fitting in the centre. Can anyone advise where I can get one?

3) I want to use a re-circulation pump to recirculate the wort. I have seen people use small aquarium pumps and others using expensive pumps. It seems most are 12V DC. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced pump that will do the job?

4) Can anyone recommend a good BIAB bag for the brew?

5) My set-up will be located in my man-shed and I will be using a hose to get water to it. Is there such thing as a food grade garden hose or should I buy a hose specifically for my water supply?

6) I plan to buy a pre-prepared kit for my first brew. I am interested in doing either a pale or red ale. Any suggestions on what kit I should try?

7) With a 30L vessel what size brew can I expect to achieve?

I am sure I will have more questions but I think that's enough for the mean time! :)

Also, very happy to hear advice/suggestions based on experience.

Dave

I just purchased a 30L Cygnet hot water urn. I need to change the tap on it. Is it ok to use a brass fitting for the bulkhead attachment?

Hi!
My two penn'orth: I converted a 20 litre tea urn to use as a HLT. I didn't bother replacing the tap that was fitted but cut a new hole and fitted the new tap. I chose a weldless ball valve like this: http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/taps-and-fittings/17-2-piece-12-weldless-tap-kit.html
I didn't fancy brass fitting - I think there is some kind of problem with lead.
I also chose a pump like this: http://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/pumps/122-12v-homebrew-pump-type-3.html
Colin

Latest posts

Back