No Fizz

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrickl06

Regular.
Reaction score
I have used one coopers carbonation drop for each of my 500ml bottles of Wherry, they have been in a dark warm cupboard for 5 days and i had to open one and was quite surprised to find that it was completely flat.

It tastes rather nice but had no bubbles whatsoever - am i being a bit premature and do they gain fizz when they are put in the cold dark place for conditioning??

1 drop is plenty per 500ml bottle. All they need is time and warmth. Leave them 2 weeks in a warm cupboard to let the yeast get to work on the priming sugars and then 1 week somewhere cooler before trying.
5 days is not nearly enough time.
If you had used a couple of PET bottles you can tell the state of carbonation by gently squeezing the bottles..They get very hard towards the end

Many thanks - that has put my mind at rest somewhat. I did a couple in PET bottles which have got a little bit harder but definately not solid yet, are they okay in the airing cupboard (26 degrees) or is this too warm??

Just had a thought i put this in a secondary fv in the garage for around a week at 5-10 degrees, might this have killed the yeast?

My plastic bottles dont seem to be getting any harder after 6 days now :sulk:

It won't have killed the yeast, it may slow it down a bit. I store my liquid yeast in the fridge before I use it and it works fine. Just give it time, I've used coopers drops before and you should get plenty of fizz. As stated previously, the bottles will get rock hard when fully carbonated, I've found this can take a few weeks. Try and sit in your hands or brew more!

when using PET bottles i take 1, fill it as normal leaving the normal amout of space in the top,then squeeze out the headspace and fit the lid tight. as it carbs up the bottle pops back to its normal shape and you can see the the headspace fill out again. its good to know its working without having to open the lid every time.

Asalpaws said:
It won't have killed the yeast, it may slow it down a bit. I store my liquid yeast in the fridge before I use it and it works fine. Just give it time, I've used coopers drops before and you should get plenty of fizz. As stated previously, the bottles will get rock hard when fully carbonated, I've found this can take a few weeks. Try and sit in your hands or brew more!

Stout it is tomorrow night then :grin:

Good tip scott.... I'll be doing that in future :)

You won't get carbonation until it's
1. fermented the priming sugar producing co2 (warm place) and then
2. cold storage, so that the liquid then absorbs some of the co2.

At least that's my understanding of it!

I would recommend 2 drops myself,I used to use just 1 and left for 2 week period in warm temp but when the bottles were chilled they had lost alot of carb.just used 2 in a new batch and they retain the carb even when chilled right down

2 will be too much for a Wherry.
Usually, 1 for ales and 2 for lagers :thumb:

1 should be enough in a 330 for a "lager" I've done the cerveza before and used a mix of 1.5 (messy bits everywhere when you cut them!) or 2 drops in a 500ml. Both turned out good.

Let us know how you #2 cerveza comes out be interested to know the % of that as I'm planning on a desperados clone at some point!

No probs - the cerveza turned out at 5.1% - OG 1044, FG 1006, or probably 5.2% after second fermentation in the bottle.

Tasted it flat and it tasted lovely - cant wait until it gets a bit of fizz. I think the hop tea really gives these kits a great boost in the flavour department :grin:

ive found that with coopers carb drops that around 4 weeks makes them fully carbed and after a week the beer is still a bit flat but it improves gradually up to the 4 week mark

Well my wherry has been in a warm dark place for 2 weeks and the few plastic bottles which are used are positively soft.

There doesnt seem to be any carbonation whatsoever - is it worth opening all the bottles again and slapping some more sugar in there??

Latest posts

Back