No hops in boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gggsss

Reaction score
Morning

I want to knock out a couple of Smash batches (1 x 5L pale malt & 50g Citra / 1 x 5L pale malt & 50g Mosaic). I can't be bothered to mash twice and boil twice so wondered if I could mash and boil (60 mins & 60 mins) to 10L and then split to two 5L FV and then maybe add a 20g hop tea to each just before pitching then dry hop around 30g 5 days or so before bottling. Just worried this may be too soft/sweet and will require some bitterness.

Or could I maybe add 5/10g Citra & 5/10g Mosaic at 60 mins to the 10L and that will provide enough bitterness but long enough to boil off flavor/aroma so I'm working from the intended "blank canvas", then split, pitch yeast and add 40/45g dry hop to each around 5 days before bottling.

Aim is to obviously compare the two hops.

BIAB by the way.

Basically I don't want a 2 hour mash and boil to be 4 hours for just 10L in total.

Many thanks in advance all.

I would mash and boil the whole lot with a cheap bittering hop, then split it and add the posh hops separately.

Thanks Slid.

I've actually got a bit of Chinook in the freezer so will just sling in 15g @60 then dry hop each 5L with the full 50g of Citra/Mosaic (although may split over two dry hops 25g & 25g a few days apart)..

If anyone thinks the above wont work for a simple Smash let me know.

Or just had a thought. Could I mash the full volume. Split it in to two equal volumes. Boil half for an hour (usual hop schedule) then once yeast pitched get the rest of the wort on to boil? So effectively leaving 6-7L mash temp wort in a container for an hour or two before I boil it.

I'd personally go with a cheap bittering hop and then split.
If possible rather than dry hopping both with the full amount, what about 25gm into each when the wort is at 80c and let them cool overnight. Pull the hops and add the yeast. Then put another 25gm as dry hops at day 7.
I find the aroma to be more rounded and last longer with flameout hops compared to just dry hop.

Latest posts

Back