No Rinse Sanitiser

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does Star San keep for? I've been using VWP. You've got to throw that the same day.

I'm sure @MyQul mentioned this just a couple of days ago, as long as the pH is less than 3 its good to use. If falls out of range just add another few drops to pull it back in range. Is that right?

y
I'm sure @MyQul mentioned this just a couple of days ago, as long as the pH is less than 3 its good to use. If falls out of range just add another few drops to pull it back in range. Is that right?

I'm definately not an expert but that's the way Ive always used it and never had any problems. Because my water is hard it can effect the PH of the starsan when diluted to the recommended strength of 1.5ml/L, so I test it occaccionally just to check it. Tbh I don't test it very often as I never remember to do it. If your water it soft I doubt you'll have any problems

And to whoever asked how long it lasts, as I said in the other thread, I've been using the same bottle for three years now and it's still half full

Just going along the same theme of things that will work as a no-rinse sanitiser, it helps to look at other industries and products.
I have used a chemical in the past which is very effective, and is used in everything from patio cleaner to eyedrops. It is in most hand sanitisers that are non-alcohol based at a concentration of 0.1%. It is a detergent and kills bacteria, mould, algae & viruses and is called Benzalkonium Chloride.
Also, Ethyl Alcohol used at 70% concentration is just as effective. And as BC is soluble in Alcohol it would seem the best combination to use.

Aren't we in the business of making alcohol? So we could just use some of that! & mix with a hand sanitiser.

Worst case scenario is that you have a drop of 70% ethanol in your bottles. Oh dear. :grin:

Just going along the same theme of things that will work as a no-rinse sanitiser, it helps to look at other industries and products.
I have used a chemical in the past which is very effective, and is used in everything from patio cleaner to eyedrops. It is in most hand sanitisers that are non-alcohol based at a concentration of 0.1%. It is a detergent and kills bacteria, mould, algae & viruses and is called Benzalkonium Chloride.
Also, Ethyl Alcohol used at 70% concentration is just as effective. And as BC is soluble in Alcohol it would seem the best combination to use.

Aren't we in the business of making alcohol? So we could just use some of that! & mix with a hand sanitiser.

Worst case scenario is that you have a drop of 70% ethanol in your bottles. Oh dear. :grin:

Do any of the above kill yeast? As I notice benzalkonium chloride kills mould. This of course would be problematic for the home brewer

I second this, as i used left over starsan from the equipment i used the night before bottling day for brewing day the following. but i wouldnt have used this solution the third time round as it was left intermittently in open air (large storage+lid box), but the spray bottles will keep. Ive read if you notice a yellow tint you should dispose.

Cant recommend this stuff enough. Dont fear the foam!

Do any of the above kill yeast? As I notice benzalkonium chloride kills mould. This of course would be problematic for the home brewer

Probably not at the concentration used in a full bottle of active beer needing carbonation. We know alcohol kills yeast but not at the concentration of a few drops per bottle.

I'll be the guinea pig and use bread yeast in starter bottles to see how much is needed to kill the yeast.
As a cleanser it is used surgically as doesn't sting in wounds, and is in a lot of baby products, nasal sprays, optrex, etc. Only one known death from ingestion when an old bloke drank 220ml of the neat stuff.
To put this in perspective BC is less toxic than Cola, aspirin or bleach. It is well documented to be hazardous to health at 50% concentrations, but there is no data on how dangerous Dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid is at low concentration, so it could be a carcinogen or bioaccumulative, we just don't know. Because of this I would want to rinse it with boiled water before use.

I make up 2 litres of star San with ashbeck water and keep using it till it runs out, weeks
If it go's cloudy I make a new batch

Seems a few of us are doing this wrong then. I just don't trust weeks and weeks old solution. I'd still make a fresh batch every time. But that's me.

Anyways, bottling evening for me before swmbo demands I light the bbq. two days of sun so far!

I'm afraid that I also rinse out bottles on bottling day after using Star San as I don't yet have a bottle tree for draining.

Would I be ok using bottles straight from the Star San bucket provided I give them a good shake out?

I fear the foam! :D

Latest posts

Back