Not enough yeast!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So as the title suggest I swapped a yeast out on my extract pilsner brew but pretty sure I should have used 2 packets not the just the one, apologies for the naive question but as it took 12-14 days to reach my needed SG not the suggested 4-6 days is my brew going to be either pointless or not worth bothering with?

Attachments

• 519BE716-BC9D-4BA9-8851-443CDCB939F5.png
    519BE716-BC9D-4BA9-8851-443CDCB939F5.png
    230.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 1D175296-C91B-4951-AD15-0B8AB3F7962C.png
    1D175296-C91B-4951-AD15-0B8AB3F7962C.png
    295.8 KB · Views: 0
Don't pay to much attention to the recommended amount as generally these suppliers always go way over the actual requirement, less yeast is not a problem just let it have a bit more time to do it's job

So as the title suggest I swapped a yeast out on my extract pilsner brew but pretty sure I should have used 2 packets not the just the one, apologies for the naive question but as it took 12-14 days to reach my needed SG not the suggested 4-6 days is my brew going to be either pointless or not worth bothering with?
Just doing a sort of reply chat to myself about this as something clearly was wrong with this brew as it turned out pretty tasteless which I guessing is due to the lack of yeast perhaps???

Just doing a sort of reply chat to myself about this as something clearly was wrong with this brew as it turned out pretty tasteless which I guessing is due to the lack of yeast perhaps???
If anything, under-pitching yeast should result in more flavour as you'll get increased ester formation, as well as potentially some additional off-flavour compounds / fusel alcohols.

If anything, under-pitching yeast should result in more flavour as you'll get increased ester formation, as well as potentially some additional off-flavour compounds / fusel alcohols.
Perhaps there may have been a prob with the yeast itself as it had brewed ok but I can only describe as as pretty tasteless

Have you checked the final gravity? If it tastes sweet then it could be that it hasn't fully attenuated, which is another potential downside of under-pitching yeast.
I have already bottled and left it several weeks now but yes I did check the final gravity and over a couple of days too to make sure it was correct 🤷‍♂️

Did you do anything to try and speed it along, such as stirring or rousing the yeast?
No nothing just the usual make it up in the fermenter
Have you checked the final gravity? If it tastes sweet then it could be that it hasn't fully attenuated, which is another potential downside of under-pitching yeast.
yea I checked the final gravity over a couple of days and it was as should be and stable

Latest posts

Back