Notlaw's Brewday - Redneck American Amber Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notlaw

Dubbel Dragon
Reaction score
Doing this one today. Was going to add some Centennial as well, but they'd been taken out of the freezer and weren't put back :sad: so that's the end of that. It's based on an American Amber that HisDudeness made, but with a couple of variations in the grand a different hop schedule.

Wort 1.jpg

Wort 2.jpg

Wort 3.jpg

Sorry for this off topic question, what software is that? :)

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

Also off topic I just recieved some grains from geterbrewed. I ordered some caramunich 2 and caramunich 3. I've never used caramunich but I think they've sent me just normal munich malt. I notice your using both munich and caramunich in your reciepe. Do they look different? From the piccies I've had a look at on the web caramunich is a bit more reddy coloured, wheras the munich is just pale like base malts

Sorry for this off topic question, what software is that? :)

It's Wort for Android mate. It's not bad for a free app. No advertising either.

Also off topic I just recieved some grains from geterbrewed. I ordered some caramunich 2 and caramunich 3. I've never used caramunich but I think they've sent me just normal munich malt. I notice your using both munich and caramunich in your reciepe. Do they look different? From the piccies I've had a look at on the web caramunich is a bit more reddy coloured, wheras the munich is just pale like base malts

The Munich I've got is on the lower end of the colour scale for Munich, and it just looks like a slightly darker MO or Vienna. The Caramunich I have is labelled as Caramunich 50 and looks quite like Amber malt. It smells totally different though. Smells more like fudge than other crystal malts.

The Munich I've got is on the lower end of the colour scale for Munich, and it just looks like a slightly darker MO or Vienna. The Caramunich I have is labelled as Caramunich 50 and looks quite like Amber malt. It smells totally different though. Smells more like fudge than other crystal malts.

Thanks mate :hat: I was pretty sure they had sent me the wrong malt. I'll get onto the phone to them, to send me out some of the correct malt.

You do realise cascade is known for its ...dare I say...grapefruit flavour?

Lovely hops there though. I haven't tried them in an amber, might have to add it to the increasingly long list of beers to make.

You do realise cascade is known for its ...dare I say...grapefruit flavour?

Lovely hops there though. I haven't tried them in an amber, might have to add it to the increasingly long list of beers to make.

Haha, I know... I'm trying to man up and not be such a grapefruit Jessie. Also, I love Amarillo so hoping it's a nice combo. Using them in an amber to try and balance with a bit of maltiness too. I tried the wort from the trial jar.... It's certainly hoppy... was pretty pungent actually, I a nice way. Got high hopes for this one.

This finished at over 1060 so added water to pull it down to 1058.

Fermenting with Mangrove Jacks New World Strong Ale which apparently has high attenuation, so expecting this to finish around the 1010 mark, maybe a point or two lower.

First time using pellets... SOLD... Will use every time if possible. Although that paste in the sieve looked like a post-spinach porcelain plastering deposit.!

On topic, looks like a cracking brew Notlaw, if that MGJ New World Strong Ale does what it should you'll end up with something near 6% or just over, nice. One thing I like about the pellets is I can just wash them down the sink and they're gone.

I've had difficulty saying cascade is grapefruit, to me its citrus but not really one type or tother though, but with amarillo could be a nice mix, keep us posted :thumb:

Forgot to amend the recipe; I didn't actually bitter with Centennial, it had spoiled so I used Northern Brewer pellets instead.

Great.thx !

I've had difficulty saying cascade is grapefruit, to me its citrus but not really one type or tother though, but with amarillo could be a nice mix, keep us posted :thumb:

Yeah I find that.. to me Cascade is citrusy but a combination of peels and zest..

I actually get a little bit of lychee flavour from it, its a nice hop though

Popped the lid for the first time today, been fermenting for 7 days.... Wow, what a smell. I can't wait to try this. Bunged 10g each of Cascade and Amarillo pellets in to dry hop for another weekish. I'll bottle either back end of next week or next weekend. Definitely reckon this could be my best brew yet. Definitely the best smelling. One thing though... It's perhaps a bit dark for an amber, but you can never tell until it's racked, so we'll see.

Can you buy a colour chart thing to compare your brews against to determine the colour?

Oh yeah, I bottled this last week. It did finish bang on 1.010, so that gives me a 6.3% brew. The flat stuff from the trial jar tasted VERY good indeed. I'm really looking forward to trying the finished article. I reckon one will go in the fridge maybe Thursday, then cracked on Saturday.... probably while I'm brewing my next one.

Cheers to @HisDudeness for his recipe that I butchered to make this one :thumb: How's your Red Dawn coming along?

It's pretty good thanks, a bit more conditioning for the flavours to really blend I think but a nice mix of resin tropical fruit and toffee maltiness at the moment. Mine is also a bit dark, could have dropped the little bit of roast barley I reckon

It's pretty good thanks, a bit more conditioning for the flavours to really blend I think but a nice mix of resin tropical fruit and toffee maltiness at the moment. Mine is also a bit dark, could have dropped the little bit of roast barley I reckon

Nice, that sounds right up my street.

I reckon if I did it again, I'd swap the chocolate malt and the crystal 40 for something like amber malt and crystal 10.

Well I've had one... Not even a week old. It's great, but it's not amber... It's red or maybe even ruby. Tastes and smells bloody great though. Less cascade and more amarillo next time though. Oh, and some carapils.

Bunged 10g each of Cascade and Amarillo pellets in to dry hop for another weekish.

Is this in addition to the same in the recipe earlier as "0", or is this what is meant by "0"?

Whatever you did seemed to work and I would like to follow your lead. :)

Is this in addition to the same in the recipe earlier as "0", or is this what is meant by "0"?

Whatever you did seemed to work and I would like to follow your lead. :)

Yeah, as well as the 0 additions. After a week or maybe 8 days had passed, I chucked some more pellets in. No bag or anything, just strain to the FV. They stayed there until bottling 10 days later.

Back