Nottingham ale yeast at lower temps...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
Do you need to use more yeast when fermenting Nottingham ale yeast at lower temps, like you do with lager yeasts?

I'm planning a British lager with all British ingredients and I'd like to use Nottingham to ferment it.

Would I need one or two 11.5g packs for a 5ish% beer?

Depends on how low FT I have fermented at 16c with one packet but granted on 4% beers and its done its job, somewhere in the forum threads one member has used it for lager/Pseudo but can not remember which one at lower temps. If you are in doubt I would pitch two on a 5% or above if you are going lower than me

I might go to Wilko and grab a couple of packs of gervin.

I've read Nottingham is rated down to 10c. I'd be tempted to try 12 or 13 for a couple of weeks, then ramp up to 20 for a week.

The data sheet says it can be finished in 9 days at low temps

If you are planning on going that low I would pitch 2 of the Wilko Ale Yeast as well as I said I know somebody has used it to good effect on a Psuedo Lager at low temps

If you are planning on going that low I would pitch 2 of the Wilko Ale Yeast as well as I said I know somebody has used it to good effect on a Psuedo Lager at low temps

Yeah, thanks, I definitely will. It can't hurt.

Just couldn't find any info on pitch rate but at £2 a pop from Wilko it's worth going for 2

I experimented with Notty last week to make s pseudo lager. This was using half the yeast cake from a previous batch, so plenty of healthy yeast at maybe 1.5x overpitch.

With temperature control I pitched the yeast at about 17degC, then brought it down to 16degC. It was very active only a few hours later so lowered again to 15.

There it sat for 4 days happily fermenting. Gradually raised the temp 2 degrees per 24 hours for next 3 days.

I think you'd benefit from more than 1 packet of dried yeast if going lower than 15degC, as it did seem to slow down at 15.

I use Wilko as my house yeast on virtually everything including IPA and it works well for me, sticks like sh&£ to a blanket at the bottom of a bottle too. I have just got some of the newer CML yeasts to try for a change but will always have 2 or 3 packets of the old faithful in the fridge. Think once I get a fermentation fridge later in the year I will use it on a pseudo lager and see if it is good for that at the moment I use CML Kolsch for them

I use Wilko as my house yeast on virtually everything including IPA and it works well for me, sticks like sh&£ to a blanket at the bottom of a bottle too. I have just got some of the newer CML yeasts to try for a change but will always have 2 or 3 packets of the old faithful in the fridge. Think once I get a fermentation fridge later in the year I will use it on a pseudo lager and see if it is good for that at the moment I use CML Kolsch for them

Yeah I love the cml kölsch but wanted something completely British. I got that experimental Opus hop from malt Miller and also some extra pale Maris otter and thought I would do a SMaSH British lager using those

To keep on theme perhaps I could use some isinglass for the fish and oak chips, and maybe some mushy peas in the boil (too far?) :laugh8:

Don't mention isinglass at the moment its arisen in one of the threads regards it being a bi-product and whether vegan/vegiterians can use it :?:

Latest posts

Back