Obtaining bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess the dishwashing liquid (fairy) breaks the surface tension to allow better soaking, oxyclean dissolves the glue?
Righto. I have only ever just soaked, thought I was missing something😁

Are these plastic labels or the paper ones you are referring to please?

Plastic labels I find are only glued in one place but horrible sticky mess worse then paper as they are not affected by soaking I have a small plastic flexi scraper I use with this once you break the surface and allow water and whatever else you are are using to get into the glue it will come off. If really struck last resort is the green scotbrite pads and scour it away works better submerged going this

I find the plastic labels that thatchers cider (& subsiduaries) the worse to get off.
I can't believe the eco warriors havnt come down hard on this type of label.

Foil ones can be a bit hit & miss. Some brands come off quite easily, others seem to delaminate & leave bits behind

We should be using traditional paper labels & water based glue.

Paper labels, some with a plastic film on them. But the totally plastic labels will not come off by soaking (maybe sulphuric acid :oops:) I usually peel those slowly and remove glue residue using some stuff I bought at screwfix (sticky label remover)

Back