Old Ale/Barley wine from a Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellular

Reaction score
So as have a lot of others I've bought the Morgans Royal Oak Amber Ale kit and the corresponding 'Caramalt' can of extract. Looking at them I'm concerned what would happen if I just did the brew as instructions would be over sweet and a syrupy foreign cousin of bitter.

I was thinking instead as all the reviews say it's got lots of caramel, a pretty high bitterness, and fairly dark, which will only be increased by using an extract can called 'caramalt'. Why not go the whole way and crank the SG up to make a full bodied old ale or barleywine. Perhaps 7% would be good? I have some small bottles that would be great for it.

What about just putting 2 cans (908g) of treacle in? Bad idea? I've used the yeast they give for a ginger beer kit going up to 7-8% so it should be able to handle it. I have some toasted oak which could be added as well.

Not looking and spending too much on ££ additions, just interested in what some simple tweaks might do.

Back