Old grain.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Budgie

Regular.
Reaction score
So I was doing a bit of spring cleaning in the brew room yesterday and I’ve got loads of bits and bobs of out of date grain which I’m just going to sling on the compost heap. But I also came across a full 5k bag of wheat malt. It’s crushed, expiry date June 2018 :eek:

The bag is still sealed, and it’s been stored cool and in the dark and it seems a bit of a shame to throw it out. Or maybe I’m just being tight. I’ve had a bit of a search around and there seems to be differing opinions.

So what do the good folk of the forum reckon, use them or lose them?

Use it. It should be fine. It's a bit of a myth I think grain goes stale. Should be fine if its unopened and been kept cool and dry.

It'll be fine. What else have you got in there? Taste it and if it's malty and crisp it'll be ok.
I reckon using old stuff saves on conditioning time. sick...

There’s little bits of all sorts really. Some Minch pale, a couple of different crystals, acid, torrified wheat, chocolate etc. Other than the 5k of wheat it’s mostly just little bits and pieces though to probably not worth bothering with. I’m all for reduced conditioning time though!

There’s little bits of all sorts really. Some Minch pale, a couple of different crystals, acid, torrified wheat, chocolate etc. Other than the 5k of wheat it’s mostly just little bits and pieces though to probably not worth bothering with. I’m all for reduced conditioning time though!

Frankenbrew time!

Latest posts

Back