One for the dog owners.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This isn't the first time this has been reported here -

A dog-walker has issued a warning after her two Great Danes had to have emergency treatment from a vet after consuming poisonous palm oil.

Tina Read, from Millom, said what her pets were eating smelled like diesel, and that it was a surprise to her as Maisie and Blue are not the type to eat anything they find.

She said she had heard reports of the substance being on beaches on Silecroft, Haverigg, and Walney.

Because of this, she felt it was important to warn other dog owners of the dangers, with palm oil being attractive but poisonous for canines.

"They could smell it from around 200 yards away, she was rolling in it and then I realised she was eating it," the 53-year-old said.

"They were running away from me with it in their mouths.

"I had seen things online online about this a few weeks ago so I went straight to the vets in Millom, but they were shut so then I went to Broughton.

"They had to induce vomiting, which is especially costly with Great Danes; it cost £300.

"It can be fatal and it can cause other organ issues as well as diarrhoea."

The substance was on Silecroft beach when Ms Read came across it, but she has heard from various online groups that this has been an issue on Haverigg beach and on Walney.

1611493279329.png

"Apparently it comes from ships as they use it to clean the engines out with, and then they dump it into the ocean, but they are not allowed to do it within a certain distance of the shoreline so I am not sure how it has got here," she said.

"I had never seen it on the beaches before now, and it was in big clumps.

"It is important to highlight this as not a lot of people will know about it.

"This is just not something my dogs would normally do, not in their nature as they are not that fussed about their food really."

She went on to describe the substance as being crumbly, like chalk.

According to reports online, the substance is rarely fatal for dogs when consumed, but the oil absorbed can cause the serious illness pancreatitis.

https://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/19032819.warning-dogs-poisoned-substance-beach-near-millom/

Latest posts

Back