One or 2 days update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all. On June 30th last year I posted this question as to whether it is easier/benificial to brew AG over 2 days.

I had some very good advice of this forum. Having looked at other posts, I noticed that some brewers who had no means of cooling the brew after boiling left it overnight to cool down.

So I thought if a boiled wort can be left overnight then perhaps a brew that has been sparged should be OK left overnight and then boiled up/fermented the next day.

I found a way of using my small bulb CO2 to cover the brew in CO2 before putting a fermention lock in the lid to keep the brew safe 'till the next day. I also cover the snap on lid with a sterilised cloth.

Anyway the findings are: brews over 2 days and brewing in 1 day no difference in taste, fermentation, no sign of any infection when left overnight and defo a lot easier for myself.

My advice to anyone with limited time in a single day or like myself suffer from the old Aunty Titus, is give it a go :drink:

ps there is a slight rise in the cost of energy used as you have to re-boil from cold, however this is really very small.

I'm curious about the mash PH and the enzyme activity after that long. Studies show that highly modified malts finish conversion of complex stretches, and the (a) amylase is finished in the first 15 minutes of the mash.

On your second day what type of sparge are you using to rinse the sugars from the grain? Do you raise the temp to kill the enzymes of the malt and dissolve the sweet wort into solution easier?

The next thing I'd worry about is minus the use of a wort chiller how do you achieve the cold break and avoid sulfides from being dissolved back into solution?

Perhaps the best experiment would be to brew both batches using the same recipe and yeast as well as the same temp control, and enter both in a competition. It would be interesting to see the feedback pro brewers and judges give.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.497501,-120.853053

:cheers: Sorry A E I think you may have missed the point, the brew has already been mashed and sparged on the first day, the brew is then boiled, cooled and fermented on the second day.

I do the first part ie mash/sparge in the afternoon, and the second part the next morning, the longest time between each operation is no more than 16 hours during which the liquid collected in kept under a layer of CO2, a snap on lid with an air lock and a cloth soaked in sterilising fluid.

I have done what you suggest on 2 occasions with a Boddington's clone and a Guinness clone and found no difference in the brews :drink:

Richard G

edit update: Have just finished a Guinness clone using the 2 day method, kept careful notes and found that I spent nearly 2 hours more and an extra 1and a half hours extra in lecky so am going to stick with the 1 day brew, but it does work :drink:

extra update Will be using the 2 day method despite the drawbacks above, have found it easier for me and there is no difference to the end brew :drink:

Hope I'm not going too far off topic here!

I've looked into doing overnight mashes due to time restraints when brewing, and did a bunch of reading about it. There seem to be quite a few people who do it successfully. In the end I decided against it, because for me it wouldnt have just been an overnight mash, it would have been overnight & all of the next day until after work... I ended up just brewing late into the night!

Anyway, the Wizard looks at the tachnical details that AE brought up in THIS article . I guess the key is making usre that your mash tun is insulated well enough to maintain the temperature & perhaps starting the mash a little high to compensate for any drop. I'd be a bit sceptical as my mash tun definately wont maintain the temp overnight. :whistle:

Not using a chiller is quite popular in Oz where water is often too scarce to be wasted on chillers. Having learnt all I have about homebrew I'd have the same concerns as you AE, regarding DMS. To be honest cold and hot breaks still confuse me a bit :whistle:
Anyway, they guys in OZ who use the no chill method don't seem to have any issues with DMS. I'm not really sure what the science behind it is, cos we are always told to chill as fast as we can.
THIS is quite an interesting read about a guy in the US who did the no chill approach on one of his tried and tested recipes as a comparison. He didnt have any issues with DMS or stability problems. If you read down the comments he'd not used his chiller since that experiment and has had no problems with no chill brews up to 6months after brewing.... :eek:

Makes you think really. :hmm:

Latest posts

Back