One or two days/

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardagutteridge

Reaction score
:cheers: Hi all I have a question for you.

I am on my 15th AG brew but time is getting tight. I would like to ask, is it OK to do the brews over two days, i e mash and sparge one day, collect the required amount of wort, leave in the FV under an airlock, and then boil the next day.

I hope this is possible as it will make life a lot easier for me :drink:

Regards Richard G

it might be ok but you never know, if you can use co2 to put a protective layer on the wort because at that stage it isnt producing its own, connect a co2 cartridge to a s30 connection on a keg top and squirt it just above the wort, just like when its kegged, never heard it done though, just a suggestion, does it sound crazy? good luck!

A few of have done it when time has been tight and you should be okay. Just make sure that the container that you are holding the beer in over night is thoroughly clean and sterile.

The idea to cover in CO2 is a good one too.

Hope it goes well :thumb:

If you can insulate well enough to stop the temp dropping below about 60 degrees, why not do an overnight mash. I've done 10 and 12 hour mashes and got improved efficiency too.

There's quite a lot on the web on the subject.

24 hours should be ok. Bacteria will love warm wort but even if they got in they shouldnt cause any off flavours under 24 hours. Wouldnt want to risk longer though. The boil will kill anything that does get in so it'll be fine.

I've done a few overnight mashes Mr G which gave a good wort for boiling the next day. The mash kept temp to 50c which I found surprising and produced a good beer :thumb:

I've done exactly this biab style and had no problem.

Mashed one day and boiled the next.
No issues at all.

:cheers: Thanks for the replys guys.

I will try it on my next brew, but I have no way of using Co2 on my FVs.

I always clean and sterilise all my equipment :whistle: before and after use, but having to transfer to a barrel with Co2 just for 24, or less hours, seems a waste of money and time, (but I am not dismissing the idea out of hand), as the barrel would have to be cleaned and the FV re-sterilised IMHO.

As I am on the last of my pale malt, which I didn't think I would have left, I think I will try it, and I will get back to you guys with the results.

Regards Richard G :drink:

I quite often do an overnight Mash. My Thermopot only loses about 5 c over 12 hours.

I haven't noticed any issues with doing this. I put my HLT on a timer a well so when I get up in the morning it's all ready to start sparging.

you dont need to put it in a barrel to use co2, its heavier than air and will sit on top of the wort in the fv, the barrel top was mentioned only because they normally have a co2 adapter, just hold the cap just above the surface of the wort and turn the co2 bottle to lay co2 down!
i went to a winery once and they use co2 to cover grape juice in a container roughly 8ft by 3ft, 2ft deep once its pressed with out a lid! and it keeps the o2 out

:cheers: Sorry guys should have said I only use those small Co2 bulbs, and I don't really want to do an overnight mash, although if I could split the brewing between 2 days I would certainly let it mash more than the recommended 90 mins :drink:

Regards Richard G

:cheers: Just had a thought I have one of the Bruheat boilers. The lid has a small vent hole in the top

What I was thinking is with the wort almost to the top of the boiler, and, if I can get a junior air lock in the vent hole, I could probobly use my vac-u-vin to draw out most of the air. (I use this method to de-gas my wines)

The lid does snap shut tight so I think this might work :party:

:cheers: Well guys I said I would comeback on this, so far have mashed and sparged today collecting enough for 19 litres of Old Speckled Hen clone.

I have left it in an FV with a junior airlock, using my wine saver bung and pump. The lid is the snap tight type.

Pic.
PICT0145.jpg

This was at 1pm and at 8 tonight the brew was still very warm.

Unfortunatley there are a few minute cracks around the hole so I have put a cloth soaked in sterilising solution around it to keep any nasties out.

Should be Ok in the morning for the boil :drink:

:cheers: Update. The experiment went OK, the wort looked and smelled the same this morning, no nasties or anything.

More time to sort out the " I know your busy but could you just " from SWMBO, sons and grandsons.

Downside was the fact that I had to boil from cold instead of the normal 70ºc + so it has probobly cost more in lecky :hmm:

Will stick to the 1 day brewing I think :drink:

Latest posts

Back