oops abv a tad high

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndeye

Reaction score
hi.ive just checked my coopers cerveza and the abv is a tad high.if my figures are right its 7%.oops

You can always dilute a beer at any stage of the brewing process

I pretty much agree with this. Except......

I had the wonderful idea, some 20 odd years ago, that I could save myself a lot of boiling/fermenting/conditioning volume by brewing double-strength ale, and then diluting it 50:50 on serving (I'm not a fan of very fizzy beer, so this wasn't an issue: anyway, it could be poured like shandy)
Of course, it worked. But, I didn't like it nearly as much as my normal-strength brew. It was drinkable, but lacked the precise taste that I was aiming for. OK, this might depend upon the yeast and the precise fermentation conditions - but my "double strength" beer, when diluted, tasted nothing like its "single strength" counterpart.

But that's serving, not brewing. Boiling (probably) 18l of wort, then diluting to 25l in the primary FV works fine for me. Then, after maybe 5-7 days in FV1, I'll rack to a secondary FV. At this stage I'll dilute again to 28l (to minimise headspace) and add the dry hops. Once fermentation has slowed, I purge heavily with CO2 at every exchange.
Works very well for me.

I pretty much agree with this. Except......

I had the wonderful idea, some 20 odd years ago, that I could save myself a lot of boiling/fermenting/conditioning volume by brewing double-strength ale, and then diluting it 50:50 on serving (I'm not a fan of very fizzy beer, so this wasn't an issue: anyway, it could be poured like shandy)
Of course, it worked. But, I didn't like it nearly as much as my normal-strength brew. It was drinkable, but lacked the precise taste that I was aiming for. OK, this might depend upon the yeast and the precise fermentation conditions - but my "double strength" beer, when diluted, tasted nothing like its "single strength" counterpart.

But that's serving, not brewing. Boiling (probably) 18l of wort, then diluting to 25l in the primary FV works fine for me. Then, after maybe 5-7 days in FV1, I'll rack to a secondary FV. At this stage I'll dilute again to 28l (to minimise headspace) and add the dry hops. Once fermentation has slowed, I purge heavily with CO2 at every exchange.
Works very well for me.

I've never actually tried diluting at serving stage tbh, but dilute in the FV and dilute (a little) after fermentation when adding hops tea and both work fine

hi larryf.i made up a 500grm cara grain partial mash+500grm light hopped spraymalt+500grm enhancer+200grm brewing sugar made upto 21ltr brewed at 12c for 10 days now trying to cold crash but my diy fermentation chamber only goes down to 4-6 c

Latest posts

Back