Opinions on Hazy Pale Ale Recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banzai

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently started taking home brewing a bit more seriously and I'm looking to begin putting together some of my own recipes.

I've got a 3 Vessel, stainless steel brewhouse which includes a water pump and a heat exchanger. I've also just invested in a second steel FV so I can secondary ferment.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on this recipe. The aim is to create a low IBU, tropical, hazy, 5.1% pale ale.

Ingredients:
28L Water (total in, aiming for 21L in the FV)
3.8kg Pale Malt
375g Flaked Wheat
150g Munich Malt
500g Carapils
7g Citra pellets (60 min)
7g Simcoe pellets (60 min)
7g Citra (10 min)
7g Simcoe (10 min)
14g Citra (1 min)
14g Simcoe (1 min)
28g Citra (dry hop)
28g Simcoe (dry hop)

Method:
Mash 4.5L of 61.5 C water with all of the grains/adjuncts. Stabilise and maintain temperature at 54.5C for 30 mins.
After 30 mins, add 5 Litres of 93 C water to raise temp to 70C, maintain at this temperature for 30 minutes.
After 60 minutes, sparge the mash with 18.5L of 77C water.
Pass through heat exchanger into a steel FV, seal and place in approximately 23C room for 5 days. Transfer into a secondary FV, and add the 56g of Dry Hops and seal the FV.
Move the secondary FV to the garage for 9 more days where it sits at around 12 C. Then bottle.

The main parts I'm not sure on are, whether the ratios of the malts are correct. I want this beer to be really pale and hazy. I also want a good, silky mouthfeel. I'm also keen to add some oats if this would improve the look and texture!

I'm also not sure if this is enough hops at all stages. I want a low IBU, but strong hop flavours.

This beer will be packaged into bottles, then in a month I'll be looking to re-brew this with some adjustments to refine the recipe.

I appreciate any tips/opinions on this.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back