Orange/Grapefruit WOW?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
I'm planning to make up a gallon of WOW using the usual orange juice, also a separate one with apple juice.

But was wondering if I substituted the orange juice for an Orange/Grapefruit juice mix. Has anyone tried it and if so how did it turn out?

I've tried using 1 litre of white grape juice, 1 litre of grapefruit juice and 800g of sugar in 1 gallon. it turned out very nice a bit like a Sauvignon blanc!

carl_saint said:
I've tried using 1 litre of white grape juice, 1 litre of grapefruit juice and 800g of sugar in 1 gallon. it turned out very nice a bit like a Sauvignon blanc!

Sounds good! :thumb:

I've used grapefruit juice when beefing up Youngs kits, slurrpacious so far :thumb:

I've used grapefruit juice as a straight substitute and thought it turned out acidic like a cheap Hock or Liebfraumilch.

I've used some grapefruit in combination with other juices and that turned out well.

Moley said:
I've used grapefruit juice as a straight substitute and thought it turned out acidic like a cheap Hock or Liebfraumilch.

I've used some grapefruit in combination with other juices and that turned out well.

Meant to say I've used it in conjunction with other juices - never on it's own ;) I can imagine it would be acidic as you say Moley :thumb:

:cheers:

I have done a WOW with grapefruit juice and white grape juice had the first aged bottle last weekend. I thought it was bloomin' awful! Mother in law said she liked it but I think she was being polite.

Either it's my taste buds or something is wrong with it. It will be aged a lot longer as it's moved to the back of the drinking queue. Seems everyone else has given grapefruit their seal of approval so go for it!

Excuse me, I'm new here and just wading through the posts. Could somebody please tell me (what is going to be VERY obvious to everyone else I expect) what does WOW stand for? :wha:

Wurzels Orange Wine. It's a quick and easy wine made from 1lt Orange juice and 1 lt Grape juice. It's a good wine to get you started and tastes good.

bobsbeer said:
Wurzels Orange Wine. It's a quick and easy wine made from 1lt Orange juice and 1 lt Grape juice. It's a good wine to get you started and tastes good.
Thanks for that, I was a bit puzzled by the term.

Why not try making a WOW using a carton of breakfast juice instead of straight orange juice? :) As it's a combination of Orange and Grapefruit, it would surely give the best of both? :)

ingypingy2 said:
Why not try making a WOW using a carton of breakfast juice instead of straight orange juice? :) As it's a combination of Orange and Grapefruit, it would surely give the best of both? :)

I was in Sainsbury's earlier today and purchased a litre of their 'basics' Breakfast Juice, according to the packaging it contains 90% Orange and 10% Grapefruit Juice from concentrate, think I'll give this a go when I do my next WOW brew. :cheers:

Last week picked up from Aldi a 100% 'tropical' pure squeezed juice - pineapple juice 65%, orange juice 30% mango puree 5%, this should work ok I think. :hmm:

And a 'muitifruit' 100% pure squeezed juice - grape juice 52%, apple juice 28%, blackcurrent juice 8%, blackberry juice 7%, cranberry puree 5%, will this work as a WOW variation? quite a bit of extra grape juice :hmm:

Just waiting to rack my existing WOW (original) and apple WOW in a few days time to free up a couple of DJ's before the next batch gets under way. :thumb: :D

+1 for acidic, I havnt used It but my small knowledge of brewing with fruit is that when using strong tasters - pineapple, cherry - be careful because the tartness can become very amplified.

Back